Herman Miller furniture

Page 1 of 2
I'd never heard of it until a customer wanted me to make a desk to go along with a Herman Miller piece they've owned since the 1950's. It's pretty cool stuff and not very difficult to make. Some Herman Miller furniture is collectable I've heard. If you'd like to see the small artist's tabouret she showed me, go to: http://www.edswoods.com/appendix.html /

Yes it is...

Yes it is...
isn't Herman Miller the stuff we have in cubieland at work? BUB 209 wrote:

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:06:20 -0700, Richard Clements
If you have a high-end cubefarm, then yes.
They make it just down the road from me (Bath and Chippenham). Cycling along the river path into Bath you ride past the air outlet from their dust collector. Quite pleasant in Winter, as it's a warm blast even from thirty feet away. The smell of crispy MDF reminds me that I could be at home with my own router too, not cycling to work.
--
Smert' spamionam

Love my Herman Miller Aero chair. Comfy and, er, ventilated, y'see.

Also known as a fart-through chair.

Yes; our part of the cube-farm is known as the 'aisle of flatulance', and not for unfair reasons, I'm afraid.

LOL!!
you know they cost more then a lazy boy, right Dave Hinz wrote:

I hated the Aeron. Borrowed one for a week, didn't get on with it at all. Of course, that was probably because I hadn't had one ordered to fit, I was borrowing a woman's, and I hadn't been on the training course for how to adjust it.
--
Smert' spamionam

Don't get me started on the Aeron. It looked cool, but it was about the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat on. I found it literally painful to sit in for more than a few minutes.
The company I used to work for thought they were doing a nice thing for everybody by buying all new chairs for everybody (Aeron, of course). I scrambled to snag one of the old ones for my office.
What an amazing piece of marketing to convince the entire corporate world that such a disasterous piece of ergonomic engineering was the cool "had to have" thing of the decade.

Too bad. Once you learn how to use 'em, they're fantastic. There's only (thinks) 9 or 10 adjustments, after all. Wait, 12.

I want a chair, not a hobby.

Does your body change shape drastically often, that this would be a daily thing you'd have to change?
Roy Smith wrote:

I'm sitting in one right now. Quite comfortable. It has a zillion adjustments though--perhaps you had a crucial one wrong. Or maybe just the wrong size--they come in three.
--
--John

Ah yes, the adjustments. We have one joker in the office who likes to mis-adjust the chairs of others. He has, er, been cured of that. But once it's just right, man...it doesn't get any better. As someone else said here, though, they're beastlyexpensive. If they weren't, I'd ave one at home.
Dave

One problem with Aerons is that they're _not_ adjustable. Some of the parts (mainly the width) are fitted by interchanging the parts when they're ordered. Once you've got it, you're stuck with it.
OTOH, I've not yet seen an Aeron that has collapsed due to Fat Geek syndrome. Working in large IT offices, some of the people with 64-bit backsides can break lesser chairs.

Even though I knew where you were going when I saw "64-bit" at the end of the line, I still LOL when I turned the corner to the last line. As someone who started out with 8 bit words in FORTRAN (and even used 4-bit half words to save space), for me 32-bit seems large and a 64-bit anything will always seem huge. -- Igor

I went in the opposite direction: first machine I worked on was a 60-bit CDC, then a 36-bit DEC20, followed by 32-bit "supermicros", and finally a 16-bit PC. We've turned around and worked our way back up from there :-)

Yeah, the seat bottom part is more contoured than other chairs, so I can see how if you're about 7" wider than me in that dimension, it'd be uncomfortable.

We've got more than a couple 128-bit backsides here. Wisconsin, y'know.