Help soldering broken bandsaw blade

Page 1 of 3
Obviously I'm doing something wrong here as my joints are brittle and don't hold worth squat. I ground the ends of the blade to about 45 degrees and cleaned the ends with sandpaper. I put on plenty of flux and wedged a small piece of silver solder in the scarf joint. Both ends are held in a jig so nothing moves during the soldering. The saw blade is 3/16 wide and .025 thick. I'm using oatey 53013 silver solder. I'm using a propane torch w/ pencil tip burner. I've tried heating just till the solder melts & flows, and hotter, up to the blade turning a cherry red. Nothing worked. So what am I doing wrong? technique? Wrong solder? Art
On 6/10/10 7:39 PM, Artemus wrote:

I'm pretty sure they needed to be welded.
--

-MIKE-

On 6/10/2010 6:02 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

(...)
Never having done that, I feel qualified to advise that this guy *has* done that:
http://homemetalshopclub.org/news/dec03/dec03.html
Scroll about 75% down the page.
[Spoiler] The scarf must be *very long*; cut at a shallow angle. This guy advises a 1/2" long lap, not 0.025" long.
--Winston
On 6/10/10 8:13 PM, Winston wrote:

Well, I'll be. Learn something new, every day. In college, we learned to weld them.
--

-MIKE-

Every place that I've ever had blades made welded em.. You'd think that solder would be way too soft..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Winston! Winston... Winston...
50313 is a lead-free plumbing solder. It's NOT "silver solder" in the sense of brazing alloys, even if it might contain some silver (which Oatey does not state in the specs)
First of all, get some 'real' silver solder -- the stuff you buy in the Forney section of an ACE hardware, or at a welding shop. Second, be prepared to see the metal red before the solder will flow. The Oatey 53013 will flow at about 700F, which will barely make the blade smoke, much less glow dull cherry red.
LLoyd

It is soldering and not brazing that I'm trying to do so I don't *think* I need the 'real' stuff. I'm attempting to do what these guys are doing without buying their package. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004491/8461/WoodRiver-Deluxe-Bandsaw-Blade-Brazing-Kit.aspx As they use a butane torch I doubt they really are brazing. Art

Lloyd is right. You're using a soft solder and itll never hold for this job. The real silver solder that you need is a hard solder and melts at a brazing temperature. Usually you use oxy-acetylene for silver soldering. You just have the wrong tools to do this job properly. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering
You CAN silver solder band saw blades, very well, with a propane torch and hard silver solder. Been there, done that with never a break. You don't have to weld them.
CP
PS: I have only done it up to 1/2".

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004491/8461/WoodRiver-Deluxe-Bandsaw-Blade-Brazing-Kit.aspx
You can count on it. True silver solder is not gonna melt with that joke kit. At the very least you will probably need propylene fuel, if not oxy/acetylene. Quit clowning around and invest in a welder.
http://www.harborfreight.com/280-amp-bandsaw-blade-welder-3663.html
nb

I've just read the manual for that welder...
You chaps are allowed to play with guns, why don't you do something useful with them and reduce the number of lawyers infesting your country :-|
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark Rand wrote:

They breed.
The number of women in law school greatly exceeds the number of men.
It's terrible.
Mark Rand wrote:

Typical British attitude. Encourage others to do what you don't have the stomach for.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004491/8461/WoodRiver-Deluxe-Bandsaw-Blade-Brazing-Kit.aspx
what's wrong with drilling a hole in each end and running a rivet through it?
;~)

MY bandsaws have guide rollers. mebby yours don't...
LLoyd
Thump! Thump!.. Oh Sh&t!! It just tore a great big hole in my metal piece when the rivet went by again.
That would be like putting a volt through the middle of a handsaw blade.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004491/8461/WoodRiver-Deluxe-Bandsaw-Blade-Brazing-Kit.aspx
;~)
On 6/11/10 3:04 PM, Josepi wrote:

And a big, woooosh over both of you.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Flying rivets are too small to woooosh. ;-)
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Shit disturber.
Didn't know you had it in you.

You must be missing about 1/2 my posts. LOL