help! rebuilding saw

Here's a stupid problem. I'm recently obtained an old unisaw and am in the process of restoring it from the ground up. Some of the parts were rusted, so I had to order replacement parts from Delta.
My problem is that in removing some of these parts, I had to remove the tension pin (looks like hollow tube with a slot down one side) in a destructive manner. I ended up buying some replacement 1/8" tension pins from home depot and lowes, but I can't seem to get them inserted. I even tried a smalled 3/32" tension pin, but it was too small. Any techniques on how to get them in?
Thanks, Winthrop
Drive it in with a hammer. The slot allows the pin to compress slightly, thereby reducing it's diameter, as you drive it home.
The accepted method for removing them is to drive it out with a metal rod.
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 06:32:13 GMT, "W CHAN"

There is a chamfer on one end of the pin. It should start easily into the hole. If it doesn't, the pin is too big. it may well be a metric pin. BTW, it's called a roll pin.

I actually looked at the pin and used the slightly tapered end to no avail. However, You might be right it could be metric.
I'll go to home depot and lowes and see if I can hunt down a 3mm (~0.118 inches) or a 2.5mm roll pin and see if that will work.
-Winthrop

Is this a split pin? If so, when I've had trouble inserting one that's really tight, I've squeezed it down a bit with a pair of vise grips and then hammered it in a bit to start. Release the vise grips after that and the rest of the insertion is much easier.
W CHAN wrote:

These "roll pins" are often supplied in kits. The 30 sizes range from 1/16" dia by 3/16" long to 3/8" dia by 2" long. Your local machine shop supply or Princess Auto in Canada carries this stuff. They are springy enough that you don't need metric. Ted Piercy