Help picking rails for dresser draws

Page 1 of 2

Hi all:
This is my first dresser project. Face frame with inset doors I am building the drawers first. My boxes are 36" wide x 23" deep, dovetailed construction. I have to add a 3/4" face to this depth also. I have not glued them up, so I can shorten them up if nessary. I am looking at the Blum specs for the slides
Accuride's nice, too. Good luck. Tom
I am not set any any one brand.
Do you even need hardware? Tom
I could do the wood runner thing, but this is practice for future Kitchn cabinets. Not my first project, but proubly the most exacting yet, inset doors and 8 drawers. I made an Entertainment center with pull out Cd storage. Used borg hardware, crappy rails . I will proubly order one set to play with. The accuride site does have nice guides for installation.
<tdevery> wrote in message

Although sequencing your skills development is an excellent idea, IMHO that is not worth compromising the character of a dresser which, if done well will be around alot longer than a kitchen.
I figure the half-life of a kitchen is about 15-20 years (half of them are re-remodeled in that time frame) even if built well. Well-built dressers should have a half-life of four times that.
Maybe I'm just being a snob, but metal glides in a dresser look so "wallmart". Please don't do it.
-Steve
Even undermount metal glides?
brian

I know what you are saying about metal glides in a dresser. This piece will be very nice when I am finished, maple boxes, Rift sawn white oak case. I am leaning toward under mount glides, after reading all the posts. I just like the feel of ball bearing glides. And I will not cover up my Dovetails. Thanks for all the input Tim
<tdevery> wrote in message

Then you will love Hittich Quadro undermounts ... try to find a dealer in your area and do some hands-on.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Stephen M wrote:

I think the idea is that you don't want to hide the joinery. Undermounts or no hardware makes for a much cleaner look. I really liket he feel of a ball bearing slide though. I'm using full extension slides on my current project, but it's a shop project so I don't care so much.
I'm also very interested in the idea of nature combined with technology. I could see somehow working the drawer slides into a project so that they look like they belong, almost like a cyborg-tree that decided to grow metal drawer slides, maybe by air-brushing the slides so that the colors exactly match the wood near the front of the drawer, but turn into hard shiny metal as you go back. Never mind. I'm just babbling and thinking out loud.
brian
"brianlanning" wrote in message

The last kitchen I built I used Hittich QuadroV6, full extension undermounts. A well engineered slide, with a very expensive feel and, being completely hidden, one which I wouldn't hesitate to use on some furniture projects.
http://www.ovisonline.com/Woodworking_Supplies/Drawer_Slides/under.htm
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Do you buy those locally? Like at Cornerstone Hardware and Supply. Usta be Cabinet Makers Hardware. I see their catalog has Quadro V6 Concealed Drawer Slides.
"Leon" wrote in message

Yes, that's where I buy them. Not the ea$iest folks in town to deal with, but not a bad place for one $top cabinet hardware $hopping.
On that same note, there is a place tucked into a warehouse strip center off of old Katy Road that sells slides and hardware _real_ cheap. Can't remember the name, but my truck knows the way ... I could probably dig it up if you're not familiar with the place. That said, the Hittich slides would probably be too high dollar for them to handle.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

I have not problems with them. I bought Kreg pocket hole screws there a couple of months ago, the 2.5" ones for 2x material, 500 screws for about $10.

When you get a chance I would appreciate the name and or address.
"Leon" wrote in message > > On that same note, there is a place tucked into a warehouse strip center

Looks like they moved. They claim to have the same low prices, but it sounds as if someone else is runing it now.
Woodworkers Tool & Supply 6718 Brittmore Ph. (713) 466-9669
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Thank you sir. That place sounds familiar but not the location.
Stephen M wrote:

I second the motion. There should be no metal in a dresser meant as fine furniture.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

<tdevery> wrote in message

My sympathies in advance ... reconsider, and build them after your casework is complete and you decide upon the slides you are going to use.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

I agree with Swingman on this one. Build the dresser and then fit the drawers to the cabinet. Much easier to tweak a drawer to fit and opening than to tweak an opening to fit an existing drawer.
david
--
snipped-for-privacy@mac.com
www.brndogwoodworks.com