Help finding shaper rub collar 1/4" height

Page 1 of 2

Looking for a shaper ball-bearing rub collar OD 1-7/8", bore 3/4", and (the hard part) height 1/4". Looked in all my catalogs at home, and DAGS... why is it that *none* of the vendors selling rub collars mention the height? I have to pick up the phone and call _every_single_one_ ... and can't find anybody with 1/4" height collars.
Grizzly -- 5/16. Rockler, Woodline, MLCS -- 7/16. Woodcraft -- dunno; we'll call you back. [still waiting]
Anybody know a vendor selling 1/4" height ball bearing rub collars?
TIA...
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

No, but I'd go to the local industrial bearing supply or search the online bearing suppliers. For that thin you may well have to find a bearing and get the outer diameter by pressing on an outer spacer.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

You can also look here at Freud's selections
http://www.freudtools.com/woodworkers/rep/shaper_cutter/bush_rub_cllrs/html/bush_rub_cllrs_1.html
or look at Amana.
I think, however, it will be hard to find any bearing of 3/4" bore that is only 1/4" thick.
As for the question of why they don't show thickness on ball bearing collars, it's because most are intended for above or below pattern following, not between which is about the only place where the actual thickness would matter...

Yeah, that's probably what I'll wind up doing...

I have a flange bushing already... I wanted to replace it with a ball-bearing rub collar.

And that, of course, is exactly what I want it for... :-)
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

I ken, but 1/4" thickness w/ 3/4" bore is pretty flimsy bearing remembering there has to be room in the total thickness for at least two-sided seals for the purpose even if they aren't fully sealed. I've not tried the search but local bearing supply is probably best bet.

I got mine at Woodcraft, and it's 7/16 also. Pretty much standard.
Can you do with a spacer and rub somewhere else above or below? Most of the time that's possible.
Why don't you just have a machinist make you one? max

max wrote:

Actually, if you note the request (as opposed to the article title) you'll see he wants a ball bearing to serve, not just a simple rub collar...
Not many machinists are going to want to make a ball bearing from scratch and you're not going to want to pay for it if they do... :)
I have made these things using a smaller bearing and then either Delron, aluminum or steel to the required size. max

max wrote:

But where you gonna' find a 3/4" bore, 1/4" thick bearing to start from, irrespective of OD?
On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:57:55 -0500, Duane Bozarth

here? http://www.qbcbearings.com/RFQ/B610HTML/B610P001.html
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

That might work -- I tried the order robot to try to price one but it didn't like my old version of IE....
If someone can follow the link and find out how pricey those are, it might be interesting....
On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 20:06:42 -0500, Duane Bozarth

I couldn't get it to work either with an up to date version of firefox, but I keep most of the scripting stuff turned off. you might try calling them: Phone: 888-276-4787 or 516-616-0436

Don't see anything there with a 1/4" thickness, do you?
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Actually, it's <1/4" so could be shimmed....
It is, however, a specialty instrumentation bearing which is pretty light duty rated and I suspect probably pretty pricey (although as noted in another post my old IE crashed on the attempt to price it).
Actually, it just dawned on me the thickness given is 0.1562" --> 5/32"! This thing is <really> a miniature. You could stack three of 'em! Not a bearing for the purpose, methinks....

Yeah... a *lot* less. :-(

Not likely to hold up under sustained operation at ten thousand rpm...

:-)
--
Regards,
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:35:05 -0500, Duane Bozarth

but if you call them up and talk to an actual person, you might find that they carry other bearings more suitable....
Doug Miller wrote:

Doug, based on what I've seen so far, I'd suggest following the link to the previous unshielded one and contact them directly to see if they do have a shielded version.
Also, obviously, go to your local bearing distributorship(s) and see what they can find.

Are you volunteering to fund this effort?

--
Regards,
Now, I'm a machinist, and I think I'm a pretty good one and I've made a lot of off the wall stuff over the years, but I've never seen a shop that was set up to make bearing sets in any quantity less than a half million at a time.