Harbor Freight, my first visit

Page 2 of 3
A friend of mine set up his Lionel in a guest room. He put a shelf around the top 1 foot of the room. Painted murals of trees and just fully did up the room. It was awesome. The whole rooms motif was that.
Later he did his entire attic. He got hit with the bug again. Wound up on one of the magazines.
Really the guest room is a nice way of displaying and keeping it out of the way, high and not a bother ..
On 6/25/2012 4:26 PM, Mike M wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 16:36:44 -0400, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

remember as a kid a buddy's day had done the same thing in their basement. No murals but it went thru walls and everything. I'll get inspired when I figure out how to run the train from the Keg refrigerator in the shop to the deck, and how to have a car that delivers a cold one. 8-)
Mike M

All you need is a angled stack of cans and a trip lever. When the appropriate car passes, the trip lever activates and a can comes down into the car. Lionel probably made a similar accessory, but it handled little pieces of pipe and not 12 oz cans.
;-)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Puckdropper says...

Or if you want something fancy I'm sure that something could be cobbled up with Lego Mindstorms and a Meccano set.
On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 11:13:16 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Too much work. Just train the family dog to open the fridge and grab a beer. Much easier.
"Dave" wrote:

As in the current Budweiser commercial with a dog named "WeGo"?
Lew
On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:19:21 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Actually, I was thinking of a friend who has a service dog that really does fetch beer, but WeGo will do.

Geez, I remember when you'd just tell your wife or kid to go get you one... :)
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org says...

For the price of a wife and kid you can buy a _lot_ of robotic stuff.
On 26 Jun 2012 12:32:03 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

I actually have the barrel loader, but I don't think I could find cans that small.
Mike M

Details, details...
Use it as a template for building a bigger one. The motion's the same (I think) so all you've got to do is Tim Taylor it. Argh ARgh Argh argh!
Ok, maybe not that big... Kegs are too big for any model train to handle. You've got to get up to the ride-on style for that.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Puckdropper says...

Be an interesting project to try though. Four or so tracks side by side with multiple cars on each?

How big's the average Keg? Somewhere on the order of 5 gallons? That's about 40 lbs of _Liquid_ weight (that poses some other issues). Four track side-by-side, assuming an evenly distributed load would mean 10 lbs/track, and would probably require 3 or 4 Lionel-sized cars for the length per track. With 3 or 4 locomotives per train, if the axles on the cars hold, you might just do it... until you came to a curve.
Now, if you're thinking about cans or bottles, that's easy. One can or bottle to a car, and make the train as long as your locomotives can pull it. (Mike M said "Keg refrigerator", so that's why I was thinking Keg.)
Gondolas would probably be best. Their shallow sides would hold the weight nice and low in the car, unlike hoppers or various flatbeds, where the weight would be higher and more prone to tip. Playing "train wreck" was fun at 5, but now there's precious cargo on board!
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 27 Jun 2012 17:03:18 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Your original idea could be made to work. You would just have to arange so a car could pull up under the tap which could be controlled by a solenoid. The bigger problem would be protecting the track from W. Washington weather. It's about 100' from the shop to the deck with woods and driveways. You would need some kind of cover for the glass to minimize spillage and you could probably due that magnetically thru the track to the car. If I get my leg working right again it's probably better to walk for the excercise.
Mike M

We're in the (long) process of moving from a house on a slab to one with a

On 6/23/2012 11:21 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

That used to be true, now that Festool has the Tseries drills I am not so sure. I have absolutely quit using my 12 volt Makita impact since getting the Festool Drill. The Festool drill will drive 3" deck screws in 2x4 stock almost as quickly as the impact and with greater fineness and much less noise. I was a believer in impacts for 7+years but not so much anymore.
Just how does it do that Leon?
The thing that impressed me about impact drivers is that I don't have to lean into a long bit like I used to to keep the phillips from camming out. The impact driver drives it without the problems.

On 6/24/2012 8:08 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

The impact does it with torque, the Festool T series drills do it with torque, controlled torque. I was assembling 2x4 shelving in my storage shed and driving 3" deck screws up to their heads. I could start out slow to go in the correct direction and speed up, slow down, stop, start slow, start fast, etc. Regardless of what trigger position I chose the drill turned the bit at that speed and stopped instantly if I released the trigger. Basically I had total control and did not have to over squeeze the trigger to restart if I chose to stop mid way into driving a screw.
All I know is that I have a 18 volt and 12 volt impact at my immediate disposal and have not use either that I recall since January. I used to use the impacts about 60% of the time. And I don't use a corded drill for pocket holes any more either. The Festool drill is doing it all.
I was not sure about the hype of the new Festool T series drill until I had used mine for a few days.

Yabbut, how _few_ will it drive? I'll get 100+ out of my Makita 18v impact. <g> (PopMech mag got 128 in their review) Now, how many 1/2" x 6" lag bolts will yours seat? <giggle>
The finesse is an added point, though, especially for small wood screws in hardwoods.
-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln
On 6/24/2012 8:22 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I was driving about 200, 3" screws with the Festool drill, It has a 3amp 15 volt battery pack.

Yeah that is pretty cool too, the clutch is electronic, it sounds a tone and stops with out the rattling sound most clutches make. The drill remains stooped after the clutch setting is reached until you release the trigger and pull it again.