Harbor Freight Multi-tool WOW!

ALL of the blades since day one have had the holes. They would not have had the holes from day one unless there was some reason. You apparently bought a unit from a run that had defective spindles. That's a manufacturing defect.

Once again... Rather than whine here, you can call them and try to get a correct spindle.

Unless of course, you would rather whine here than solve the problem.

Reply to
salty

All you're doing is showing your lack of knowledge in Chinese manufacturing. There is probably one factory over there cranking out blades for every multi-tool "maker" on the planet. They are not going to tool-up to make custom blades for every design. They crank ten million at a time to fir a dozen different models. Some have pins, some don't.

Same concept as above.

Don't project your issues on me.

Reply to
-MIKE-

If so, they're doing it backwards. The best method is to start with the advanced model.

In years gone by, Polaroid was the master of this technique. A new model camera appears on the market for $200. After a year or so, they change some of the metal parts for plastic, now it's $150. After another year, they change the packaging, color, and eliminate the cheesy accessories. New price $75.

Point is, if some folks are willing to pay $200, give them the chance to do so before you offer the product at $75.

Reply to
HeyBub

My Harbor Freight Multi Tool has the correct spindle, and no problems with the blades coming loose.

I'm not whining that my Harbor Freight Multi Tool has no positioning nibs and the blade won't stay where I put it.

I was even nice enough to recognize your crybaby helplessness, and supply you with a telephone number to get your problem resolved.

Yet, still you whine.

Reply to
salty

Neither does mine, as I said from the beginning.

Who's whining? I was supporting the fact that mine doesn't slip, even without the pins.

What problem. Show me where I said I had any problem at all. Do you have any reading comprehension at all?

You might want to reread, slowly if it helps, and see how I was the one who said (and in any thread about this tool) I had no problems with slipping. I never have.

I want some of what you're smoking, man. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

On 2/27/2010 5:41 AM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com spake thus:

Easy; since the "spindle" with the nubs is diecast, and the blades are steel, the edge of the blades could easily wear into the fairly small nubs. In fact, I seem to remember this very problem being reported here (or was it on alt.home.repair?) for this tool.

I guess if it were me designing the thing, I would have bored holes in the spindle and press-fitted steel pins there.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

It's not!

Well surprise, surprise, surprise! I just got home and looked at my Harbor Freight Multi-tool (to be SURE before I posted a wild guess, like you did). Guess what! They used your design!!!

The nubs are hardened steel pins set in holes in the spindle.

Reply to
salty

On 3/1/2010 2:46 PM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com spake thus:

Well, I just looked at mine and whaddya know, you're right. So I guess I stand (or sit in this case) corrected.

And theoretically if the pins ever did wear down, they could (maybe) be replaced (or for that matter, just get a new "spindle" from HF).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The HF tool is simply a copy of the Fein multimaster which IMHO should be designated the tool of the Century. I'm now on my second Fein and even after 15 years or so I never cease to discover new uses for this incredible tool. However, I have always been offended by the outrageous and unjustifiable prices of blades and other accessories. That is changing. Apparently their patent ran out which accounts for the newly appearing copies, i.e., Dremel, P-C, HF. The blades, etc. produced by the imitators, other than perhaps the scraper, can not hold a candle to the Fein accessories. The good news is that there are sites on the web which are now selling Fein-quality accessories for 70 to 80% less than the Fein originals. As for the older Fein's slipping. Yes, they did but I rather believe the design change was a step they took to discourage knockoffs as their patent was expiring. I'm looking forward to increased competition in the accessories since basically all the accessories are interchangeable with the Fein--though not necessarily vice versa. As much as I love this tool I was always galled at having to by $50.00+ for a stamped blade that probably cost no more than a dollar to produce.

Reply to
Joe Bleau

Got any specific sites you recommend?

Reply to
LDosser

I think you're making a big thing out of the quality of a $35 power tool... It works, the blades are cheap, the tool is cheap.. use it until it needs replacing and spend another $35..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

That would be like taking a goldfish to the vet.. He'd just tell you to get another one...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

On 3/1/2010 11:38 PM mac davis spake thus:

Yeah, you're probably right. The whole tool should be considered a FRU (field-replaceable unit).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

A DOLLAR? Maybe for the diamond studded one...

I can't imagine the production costs to be greater than two-cents.

Giving Fein their due, however, they, like the pharmaceutical companies, needed to have a tremendous mark-up to be able to fund the development of their next-generation product.

No, wait...

Reply to
HeyBub

You were wrong and I'm man enough to admit it! LOL

Reply to
salty

Fein makes a ring with grit that fits between the blade and the arbour which greatly reduces slippagea. Slippage has not really been a problem for me although it has happened on occasion.

Reply to
Robatoy

Here's a discussion:

Robatoy

Anybody have a HF link to this incredible tool youse guys keep going on about?

Reply to
Steve Turner

Evodawg

"Steve Turner" wrote

Here is one. The basic one.

is the other. The advanced model with the variable speeds, etc.

Lee Michaels