Harbor Freight Multi-tool WOW!

Page 3 of 4
Lee Michaels wrote:

If so, they're doing it backwards. The best method is to start with the advanced model.
In years gone by, Polaroid was the master of this technique. A new model camera appears on the market for $200. After a year or so, they change some of the metal parts for plastic, now it's $150. After another year, they change the packaging, color, and eliminate the cheesy accessories. New price $75.
Point is, if some folks are willing to pay $200, give them the chance to do so before you offer the product at $75.
On 2/26/10 9:51 PM, notbob wrote:

I think there could be an advantage to slower speeds or sanding and scraping. Sanding too fast could burn or clog, etc., for example.
But you're right about cutting... seems the faster it is, the more control you have.
--

-MIKE-

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:54:25 -0800, David Nebenzahl

As the nubs go into holes in the attached blade, how are they going to "wear down", unless you mount the bald incorrectly? Do you expect a problem with keys in keyways wearing down?
On 2/27/2010 5:41 AM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com spake thus:

Easy; since the "spindle" with the nubs is diecast, and the blades are steel, the edge of the blades could easily wear into the fairly small nubs. In fact, I seem to remember this very problem being reported here (or was it on alt.home.repair?) for this tool.
I guess if it were me designing the thing, I would have bored holes in the spindle and press-fitted steel pins there.

- a Usenet "apology"
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 10:03:24 -0800, David Nebenzahl

It's not!

Well surprise, surprise, surprise! I just got home and looked at my Harbor Freight Multi-tool (to be SURE before I posted a wild guess, like you did). Guess what! They used your design!!!
The nubs are hardened steel pins set in holes in the spindle.
On 3/1/2010 2:46 PM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com spake thus:

Well, I just looked at mine and whaddya know, you're right. So I guess I stand (or sit in this case) corrected.
And theoretically if the pins ever did wear down, they could (maybe) be replaced (or for that matter, just get a new "spindle" from HF).

- a Usenet "apology"

That would be like taking a goldfish to the vet.. He'd just tell you to get another one...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On 3/1/2010 11:38 PM mac davis spake thus:

Yeah, you're probably right. The whole tool should be considered a FRU (field-replaceable unit).

- a Usenet "apology"
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 18:03:44 -0800, David Nebenzahl

You were wrong and I'm man enough to admit it! LOL

I think you're making a big thing out of the quality of a $35 power tool... It works, the blades are cheap, the tool is cheap.. use it until it needs replacing and spend another $35..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 23:37:19 -0800, the infamous mac davis

I got an HF MFT for that price, have used it 4 times now, and I'm still finding things new and wondrous things to do with it.
I picked up the triangle rasp (carbide grit) this weekend but haven't used it yet. I hope they last well.
--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Its basically a non-issue. Some people are shocked that when they don't properly tighten the arbor on a power tool it may come loose. It's not hard to tighten it properly, unless you are quite limp-wristed. :-)
If you are worried about it, just add a dab of locktite or something.

Not likely. Not only been twisting wrenches all my life, I got the long shank versions. Dang! ....shoulda picked one up when I was in the big city. ;)
nb

I really don't see it as a problem.. I find that if I torque it with the wrench provided and check it between cuts, it holds fine.. Especially for a $34 power tool..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On 2/27/2010 2:16 AM, mac davis wrote:

Has anybody tried the Fein star-mount adapter on it? <(Amazon.com product link shortened)67276045&sr=1-22> or <http://preview.tinyurl.com/yzg4hyk
mac davis wrote:
Yep. It's like a Xerox machine; once you get it, you wonder how you ever lived without it.
Tip: When the cutting blade wears down to a scraper-only configuration (or if you have a spare scraper blade), cut as many notches in it with a Dremel rotary tool and you're good to go.
Won't be quite as good as one with pointy teeth, but it's surprising how well the modified blade works.
Wanna have some fun? Demonstrate a physical principle?
Take a glass of water, pour a small amount of oil on the top. Turn on your MF tool and dip the tip in the liquid.
POOF! Instant emulsification!
The HF tool is simply a copy of the Fein multimaster which IMHO should be designated the tool of the Century. I'm now on my second Fein and even after 15 years or so I never cease to discover new uses for this incredible tool. However, I have always been offended by the outrageous and unjustifiable prices of blades and other accessories. That is changing. Apparently their patent ran out which accounts for the newly appearing copies, i.e., Dremel, P-C, HF. The blades, etc. produced by the imitators, other than perhaps the scraper, can not hold a candle to the Fein accessories. The good news is that there are sites on the web which are now selling Fein-quality accessories for 70 to 80% less than the Fein originals. As for the older Fein's slipping. Yes, they did but I rather believe the design change was a step they took to discourage knockoffs as their patent was expiring. I'm looking forward to increased competition in the accessories since basically all the accessories are interchangeable with the Fein--though not necessarily vice versa. As much as I love this tool I was always galled at having to by $50.00+ for a stamped blade that probably cost no more than a dollar to produce.

Got any specific sites you recommend?

Here's a discussion: http://tinyurl.com/yzkamrr

Here's a discussion: http://tinyurl.com/yzkamrr