Harbor Freight Multi-tool WOW!

Funny that you mention that... I tried it on ironwood and damned if it didn't cut it.. I've got about 40 pounds of ironwood on the lathe right now and I'm trimming as I go.. The portable bandsaw is ok, but slow and has a restricted width of cut, the recip saw just sits and dulls the blades and the saber saw is ok but very slow.. The HF tool, with the straight saw blade it comes with, cuts right through it.. Only bad part is that it burns it's way through, which stinks up the house..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I really don't see it as a problem.. I find that if I torque it with the wrench provided and check it between cuts, it holds fine.. Especially for a $34 power tool..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

As they say, marketing is the practice of convincing fools they can pick up a turd by the clean end, and the biggest problem with modern marketing is that government entities are now practicing it, due mainly to the proliferation of fools.

Reply to
Swingman

Has anybody tried the Fein star-mount adapter on it? or

Reply to
J. Clarke

Swingman wrote in news:0- adncveQJ_GhRTWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Thanks to the school systems that proliferate superstitions, and deliver high school graduates that (should be who, but they're not really fully grown people) only read at 2nd grade level.

Reply to
Han

As the nubs go into holes in the attached blade, how are they going to "wear down", unless you mount the bald incorrectly? Do you expect a problem with keys in keyways wearing down?

Reply to
salty

Sounds as if you got a defective unit.

Reply to
salty

...Except there is no mounting problem on the original single speed unit. Someone has posted that their unit lacks the 4 positioning nubs. That's a manufacturing defect, not a design defect.

I just looked in the owners booklet. The arbor is called a "spindle" in their terms. If your spindle doesn't have nubs, you can call

1-800-444-3353 and discuss it with tech support. Maybe they will send you a new one.

Also note that the instructions say not to use the long rectangular blades in any position except straight out in front.

Reply to
salty

Except they didn't do what you two are accusing them of.

Reply to
salty

Don't be so hard on poor Swingman. He means well!

Reply to
salty

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm ot hard on Swingman at all. Au contraire! I'm just explaining (part of) his "... due mainly to the proliferation of fools."

SIL and daughter teach in highschools in "disadvantaged" districts - math and physics, respectively. The school systems have failed the kids miserably. It's not even that the kids aren't willing to learn, they just never got in the habit, and have few incentives. Of course, the parents (if any) aren't blameless either ...

Trouble is, the kids quote can earn more in 1 year on the street than the best teachers get in 5 years. I'm not talking life expectancy, though.

Reply to
Han

And, speaking of fools, the particular one to whom you were replying is Bozo Binned, where such fools belong ... a word to the woodworking wise who actually practice same.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:IMydnZWxVYPKoxTWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

sorry for prolonging the thread ...

:-)

Reply to
Han

Sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

Reply to
-MIKE-

From the manual... "3. Note: Some units may have small holes inthe attachments and/or pins on the spindle shoulder. These are not used or required for this model."

This tells me two things.

1) It's not defective if the "nubs" (pins) are not there. Defective means, "oops, we forgot to put them on." Not, "we decided later, to improve the model with nubs." b) It would be quite a bit of spin/deception on their part to change the manual on all the older single speed models to try to hide the fact that they are selling off the old stick that was defective.

Did they change the design? Probably. Are they trying to deceive? Possibly.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Well then perhaps you are being hard on Swingman... and yourself!

Reply to
salty

Poor moronic baby. If you can't hang, maybe you should go elsewhere.

Reply to
salty

Then your hearing is poor.

Reply to
salty

If you don't have the nubs, your unit is defective. Call the number I provided and see if they will send you a correct spindle.

I have a single speed model and it has the nubs. If you look very carefully with a high powred electron microscope, you may notice that

*ALL* blades for the tool have holes for mating to those nubs.
Reply to
salty

Like I wrote, that isn't "defective." That's a design change.

Reply to
-MIKE-