Harbor Freight 14" band saw

I recently bought the Harbor Freight 14" bandsaw on sale. It's an okay saw, but the blade that comes with it is JUNK!! It takes an odd size (92-1/2") that not even Harbor freight sells, believe it or not. They don't sell the 92-1/2, they sell a 93". Weird, I know. I can't find a stock 92-1/2 blade around here. Can someone point me to a source? I orderd one from our local woodcraft, that get's them from sur-set. I have used their blades before, and I am not impressed with them. They don't have a very narrow kerf, and the weld broke on me after about 2 months of use. I'd appreciate any help at all.

www.suffolkmachine.com They will make any size you want. Man other sources make blades to order also.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

To use the 93 instead of 92-1/2, you would have to raise the top wheel only and extra 1/4 inch while setting the tension. Since the tension scale has a length of about 1-1/2 inches, the 93 inch length should work for all but the very widest blades.
I strongly suggest he buy from Iturra Design. Call Iturra at 888-722-7078 or email them at snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. also ask for their wonderful 218 pg. catalog (note it may take as long a 6 mths for them to mail you their informative catalog).

I have a Delta 9" bandsaw that uses 52-1/8" blades. Grizzly doesn't sell those either. I've found some at my local ACE hardware. Also try EBAY. I've gotten VA and Delta blades on eBay. Good luck. Joe
daveturns05 wrote:

Dave's saw is probably adjustable within a particular range say plus/minus an inch. I've worked a few of the clones with 92 1/2, and they'll take a 93 1/2. They just start to compress the spring later than a 92 1/2. About a half inch later.
daveturns05 wrote:

I've had a HF 14" bandsaw for about 5 years and haven't had any problem finding blades. I've orderered them from HF, bought them at the local HF store, and bought some at Sears. I dont remember the exact size but I think about all 14" saws use the same blades (or can be adjusted to).
Lance
Don't know about that particular saw but isnt there enough vertical travel in the upper wheel to tension up a slightly larger or smaller blade. My BS has a range of 4 inches Just a thought Joe
daveturns05 says...

I have the HF band saw and 93 1/2" blades work just fine. Have you actually tried it? I have five blades now, all 93.5". The tensioner compensates for some variation in blade length. And no it doesn't throw the tensioner off if you supposedly need a 93" and you use a 93.5", because the tensioner doesn't begin to register until there is actually some tension on the blade. I recommend Timberwolf blades for the HF saw because they are designed for low tension and this saw has rather wimpy wheels.
snipped-for-privacy@charter-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (daveturns05) wrote in

Comment #1: The blades shipped with _MOST_ bandsaws are junk, because they can be. Exceptions likely come on multi-thousand dollar saws.
Comment #2: Making bandsaw blades to fit is something that almost any sharpening service can do. Strangely enough, it is often cheaper than a premade retail source. It often comes with expert advice, as well, such that you get the proper blade for the task. The downside is that you may have to wait a day or two to get your blade.
Comment #3: Bandsaw blades are consumables. Buy several of the type you need, and you'll probably have one on hand, when you kink, dull or otherwise trash the blade in your saw.
I have purchased blades from Hastings Saw, in Rohnert Park, CA, and from Bay Area Carbide, in Concord, CA. Both sources were far cheaper than the woodworking stores to which I have ready access, and the quality was superior to what the retailers had on hand. In each case, the owner of the shop answered my questions, and filled my orders quickly. Can't ask for more than that.
Patriarch
grizzly sells 92 1/2" bandsaw blades, check amazon.com for ""92 1/2" bandsaw blades"". they ship fast, for me anyway. jaq
daveturns05 wrote in message
04:00 pm:

I have that saw. You can use the 93" blade that HF sells without problem. It won't be a "Timber Wolf" (or other name-brand) blade, but it won't cost as much, either.
Don't get a custom blade made up for a Chiwanese band saw bought on sale. It's money down a rat hole.
When you get a Rikon or an Incra or any of the other 'top shelf' bandsaws you'll have plenty of opportunity to pay through the nose for blades ... but at least then it will make sense to do so.
BIll
Look at Sears, they sell 92 1/2" blades.
on Friday 06 May 2005

donald wrote:

Both BORGs sell 93" blades as does Woodcraft. The Olson blades are pretty good as are the woodcraft brand ones. Both are inexpensive and way better than the one that came with it.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work