Hanging Cabinet Doors

What's the best way to hang cabinet doors? Mount the hinges to the doors and then to the face frame, or mount to the face frame and then to the doors?

Reply to
GrayFox

I always put the hinge on the door first.

Reply to
Leon

Hang the hinge on the door. If the cabinets are built-ins, put blocks under the door from the floor up to its correct position, mark the screw holes and go from there. If free standing, lay the cabinet on its back, position the door and ...

Quite often, some bad words help the situation. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Somewhat related question. I'm going to mount some doors in a cabinet where the doors are going to be mounted inside an edge frame... sort of a modern cabinet 3/4 thick edges all the way around. I'd like to "recess" the door so I have a 1/8" reveal. The hinges are non-mortise type, where they are only one thickness of metal thick, and the two hinge parts nest one inside a cutout of the other.

Normally, I mount the h>GrayFox wrote:

Reply to
captmikey

all of those hinges I have seen are designed for flush or overlay doors, not recessed. some have a return to screw to the back of the door and face frame, some don't. if yours do, and the doors and frames are the same thickness, you can shim back at the frames.

first thing- the hinge pins must be forward of the face frame. this recessed door configuration is going to require a little extra bevel on the knob edge to swing open, and may require a wide gap as well.

you might consider using soss hinges:

this application.

Reply to
bridger