Hanging cabinet doors w glass

I'm looking to build an oak hutch style wall cabinet with the hanging portion having glass inset doors framed with oak.

Any of you fellas have a preferred way of making the glass doors as far as setting the glass? Is a glue good enough or is another better?

I was thinking of making the door frames out of oak with a rabbit on the inside ad the glass glued to he back of the rabbit.

Thanks guys.

RonT

Reply to
Ron Truitt

How will you feed him?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Silicone or a pice of 1/4 round tacked in.

Dave

TeamCasa

If you want your piece to look like a puttied window, use an adhesive like 3M-5200.

If you want your piece to look like a piece of furniture, use a wood trim strip like a piece of quarter round.

Much as I hate nails, not sure if you have an option to hold the quarter round in place.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ron Truitt) wrote in news:1333-42268298-3@storefull-

3314.bay.webtv.net:

The cabinets in my kitchen have little clearplastic pieces that look like the figure eights you use to attach table tops, but with a little tab the goes against the glass. These are help in place with screws. They are ok if you aren't concerned with how the inside of the door looks. When I replaced the glass with the custom stained glass my wife made all I needed to do was trim the tabs a little to accomodate the new thickenss.

Reply to
Mike King

On a door ? There's only one way I'd do it, set the glass into a groove. This means you need to assemble it around the glass, which can make finishing a problem.

You _might_ set it into a rabbet with a ply backer, but that's ugly IMHO.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Silicone works well, won't rattle in the future, and is what a glass company would use if you brought it to them to mount.

Reply to
Swingman

Silicone destroys the silvering on mirrors, because it releases acid when it cures. Use a low-acid grade, suitable for use on mirrors.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ron,

When we built a cherry display hutch, we used the groove type panel retainer from Rockler. It made for a very finished look and were very easy to install / remove to replace glass if necessary. They jamb fit into a oversized groove that the glass sets in, holding the glass in tight. As I remember, we used the fruitwood color for the cherry.

32189 - Fruitwood Groove Type Plastic Panel Retainer 38896 - Clear Groove Type Plastic Panel Retainer

Hope this helps,

David

Reply to
DL

Sooooo- what happens when the glass breaks? the OP will have to have a groove at the top or side of the door with a wood strip included to hide the slot where the glass would be inserted--- Had the same problem when making a flag case with glass in a slot. Ph

Reply to
Phil at small (vs at large)

You saw the lip off the groove, converting it to a rebate. Doesn't happen that often.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Take a look at the glass panel retainer that Rockler selld:

no(SPAM)vasys