Hand Screw Clamp Suggestions

I am considering whether I should buy a set of Hand Screw Clamps. Does the group feel that these are a worthwhile shop addition? If so, what size proves to be the most useful since they seem to come in sizes from 8" to 16" (#0 thru #4)? I don't want to buy all of the sizes, just one set for now.
Philly
Mon, Jan 17, 2005, 5:22pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (philly) apparently needs to know: I am considering whether I should buy a set of Hand Screw Clamps. Does the group feel that these are a worthwhile shop addition? <snip>
Who's gonna use 'em? You or the group?
Who's gonna pay for 'em? You or the group?
So, who should make up their mind about buying some? You or the group?
JOAT Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people what they need to get. - Albert

the
16"
Used mine, which are rated by opening at 6" for the first time in months just yesterday. Did it because I had no offcuts to use with regular clamps to get back to 90 degrees. They're quite the PITA to adjust, with the same direction producing a different effect depending on which screw you use. I prefer to plan ahead and use regular clamps or wedged jigs, but when the glue's already spread, and nothing prepared ... they work. Would not go out of my way to buy any today.

now.
clamps
same
out
I use them all the time. Once you get used to them they are not a PITA. I rather like them due to the large size of the jaws. Get a pair of #1 or #2 to start. I wouldn't mix sizes as then they don't work quite as well together. The body of the clamp works in the same way as those clamp blocks to keep your work off the table.
-j
I use mine all the time for a multitude of things. I have them sized from anywhere from I think 4" or 6" up to around 14". I suppose it depends on what size projects you are doing as to which size to get. I've used all to some degree and they've worked well. I suppose you could always go with a set of 8" or 10" as they are sort of middle of the road size wise and see if you get use out of them. I bought a bunch of the mechanisms a while back from Grizzly but haven't had a chance to build my own yet. Not sure if this helped much but all in all, I'd say, yes they are handy and yes, they will get usage particularly if you are doing hand work. Cheers, cc

I bought threading tools (I think from Grizzly) and made my own with 1/2" dowels for screws. They weren't hard to make and I've uswed them for years. And the threading tools come in handy for making other clamps as required.

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:29:01 -0800, Larry Blanchard

I bought a bunch from Penn State Industries. At the prices they charge you can get a few in each size.
Check this out for a deal... http://tinyurl.com/6p72h or http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=E-10195
JP

These clamps are hard to get used to for me but it won't stop me from using and "liking" them... one hard part is getting up enough tork to tighten them down enough, and the direction in which to turn can be confusing, other than opening and closing so the jaws remain "even". If both are turned in the_same_yet_opposing_direction (I think) they close or open evenly, opposing directions then you get a "V" or an "A", < or > as it were... a little hard for me when the jaws are on whatever is being clamped. Maybe I am dislexic.
I think they are great clamps. I have four 12" and two 8" (jaw length), you can see the opening sizes related to jaw length here: http://www.adjustableclamp.com/handcat1.htm#Handscrews these sizes are the ususal case. I think the ideal sizes are 12" and 10". Really good prices are @http://japanwoodworker.com/ ("improved") I have not seen them but JWW has a good reputation (buy 5 get 15% off). Two of my 12" are from Harbour Freight, made in Armenia, they work fine but are not of a supreme quality by any shot. The other two are Woodcraft branded, made in the USA by Dubuque Clamp works, supreme quality. I think the Jorgensen's are utterly overpriced. Good deals can be found on eBay as well as Rockler. Sears makes good ones, a tad over priced but great quality. You can also buy the kits, all the hardware and no wood except the handles. Steelex brand (Woodstock Int'l) at Grizzly, Amazon and here: http://store.yahoo.com/right-tool/steelwoodcla.html/ super good deals on those. I think the clamps are worth it at a low price, just not the Harbour Freight ones unless destitutely poor. Good luck!
--
Alex
cravdraa - at - yahoo - dot - comment

after you use them a bit, you learn to "spin" them with 2 hands and open or close them pretty quick while still keep the jaws/blocks/whateverthehellyoucallthem parallel
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
I've got about a dozen, in different sizes and they come in very handy at times. They reach much deeper than regular clamps. You can also use them to safely handle small parts at the router table or saw.
Tom O'Connor wrote:

What size would you recommend for small parts at the router table?
Josie
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:31:33 -0500, "firstjois"

larger than the part, smaller than your router table?
you have to play with them to find what's comfortable for your hands, shop, style of work, etc... sort of asking what size bar or pipe clamp to use without saying what size stuff you need to clamp..
I think of them as sort of "old fashion clamps" but still use them.. sort of an addiction.. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Thanks. Jay gave the url for a company that carries them and I'll try several for use with router and band saw.
Josie
You can also use them to safely handle small parts at the router table or saw. [/quote] What size would you recommend for small parts at the router table?
Josie[/quote]
It depends on what your doing. The six inch are the easiest to maneuver but I've used all sizes, depending on the size of the workpiece. The flat sides of the clamp slide easily on the table. They sure help keeping fingers away from cutters.
Tom O'Connor wrote:

Thanks, that's it, I'm going to order them!
Josie
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:30:48 -0500, "firstjois"

I've never used them on the router table, (I prefer sleds) but I use them on the DP... Makes those pesky odd shapes that you SHOULD have drilled before you cut them off easy to orient with the table/drill bit..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Order this instead. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pA780&cat=1,43000

Josie do yourself a tiny favor, look at my first reply in this thread, 2nd paragraph at least, K?
--
Alex
cravdraa - at - yahoo - dot - comment
AAvK wrote:

Timely! Making corrections now. Thanks, Josie