hand plane opportunity

Page 1 of 2

I got a local junk shop that has an old Stanley #5 for $28, the lever cap does not have a kidney shaped hole, the adjustment knob is plastic or bakelight, wooden tote and knob and seemingly a light iron casting, not heavy like the WWII era ones. This one seems narrower side to side than a type 19 and no thicker casting ridge at the toe and heel. All parts are there, no cracks in the metal and about 60-70% japanning, anyone offer me an opinion if it's worth buying at this price?
Alex
absolutely not. I paid $35 for a #5 type 15 with all original parts and completely intact tote and knob on ebay. the plane your guy has sounds like a later model piece of crud and probably shouldn't get more than $10, IMO. I'm no expert, mind you, but I've bought about 10 planes on ebay and never paid more than $65 - and that was for a sweet Type 11 #7.
Mike
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=Arial></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>I got a local junk shop that has an old Stanley #5 for $28, the lever</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>cap&nbsp;does not have a&nbsp;kidney shaped hole, the adjustment knob is </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>plastic or bakelight, </FONT><FONT face=Arial>wooden tote and knob and seemingly a light </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>iron&nbsp;casting, not heavy </FONT><FONT face=Arial>like the WWII era ones. This one seems </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>narrower side to side than </FONT><FONT face=Arial>a type 19 and no thicker casting ridge</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>at the toe and heel. </FONT><FONT face=Arial>All parts are there, no cracks </FONT><FONT face=Arial>in the metal and </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>about 60-70% </FONT><FONT face=Arial>japanning, anyone&nbsp;offer me&nbsp;an opinion if it's </FONT><FONT face=Arial>worth </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>buying at this price?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>Alex</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
absolutely not. I paid $35 for a #5 type 15 with all original parts and completely intact tote and knob on ebay. the plane your guy has sounds like a later model piece of crud and probably shouldn't get more than $10, IMO. I'm no expert, mind you, but I've bought about 10 planes on ebay and never paid more than $65 - and that was for a sweet Type 11 #7.
It's not newer at all, really old! Alex
If it has a plastic or bakelite knob, I think you're looking at a WWII vintage. Not the best users, from my experience.
-jbb
<DIV><STRONG><FONT face=Arial></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>absolutely not.&nbsp; I paid $35 for a #5 type 15 with all original parts and completely intact tote and knob on ebay.&nbsp; the plane your guy has sounds like a later model piece of crud and probably shouldn't get more than $10, IMO.&nbsp; I'm no expert, mind you, but I've bought about 10 planes on ebay and never paid more than $65 - and that was for a sweet Type 11 #7.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>It's not newer at all, really old!</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Alex</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
If it has a plastic or bakelite knob, I think you're looking at a WWII vintage. Not the best users, from my experience.
Yeah I suspect that too but the casting is so light compared to a WWII one... Thinner walls on the sides, the whole thing is not too heavy, unless it was overly tuned by a previous owner. Glad you could post from experience though, thanks much, I'll let it go at that price. This seller is wierd, he will not bargain at all. Surfer too.
Alex

Are you _sure_ it's a Stanley? You're not just going by what's stamped into the blade, right? The replacement blades from hardware stores were/are almost always made by Stanley.
The only Stanleys I'd consider buying would be the Bedrock line or the Bailey line. Either way the main casting of the plane would have "Bailey" or "Bedrock" cast into the it.
Also, another dead giveaway on determining if it's likely a real Stanley is the iron's lateral adjustment lever. The Baileys and Bedrocks have a three part lever: a disk at the bottom under the iron riveted to a flat main shaft ending with a pressed in finger tab extending downwards. Knock off planes often cheaped out by making the finger tab by merely bending the sides of the main shaft into an inverted "U".
I'm thinking it's a knockoff/competitor's plane and probly not worth the money if it's noticeably lighter than expected.
I didn't mean "new" I simply meant new"er". The plastic knob, lightweight casting (possibly aluminum?), etc. just sound like less-than-desirable features, and you can easily find cast iron, well-made stanleys for similar, if not better, prices.
Mike
[...]

If it's a Stanley and the casting is Aluminum then it's a steal at that price because the Aluminum Stanleys are colectibles.
The combination of the non-metallic adjustment knob with the non-kidney shaped hole in th elever cap sounds like a Frankenplane, assembled form pieces of different planes from different eras.
--

FF

I bought 2 #5s this summer at garage sales. One was perfect for $5. The other was not perfect, but still better than yours, for $2.
Want to buy the $2 one for say $20?

I'll buy anything with a brass knob. Plastic, fibre or aluminium can sit there.
--
Smert' spamionam

Andy Dingley wrote:

Then you would have missed out on my type 17 #6, which is my favorite older Stanley. :-)
I was skeptical at first too when I saw the knob, but it doesn't affect it in use in the slightest, and I love the WWII-era heavy casting.
Chuck Vance
Sorry for following up my own post, but I forgot to add that given the light casting and other anamolies described by the original poster, I wouldn't pay what the seller was asking for. It sounds too much like a plane cobbled together with parts from different planes.
You should be able to get an all-original-parts #5 from prior to WWII for less than $30.
Chuck Vance
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 07:06:45 -0500, Conan the Librarian

I just now won an *b*y auction, a Stanley #6 for $15.49. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&itema17474282 </gloat> (Yes, it may require a new iron shortly.) Another one is going up in a couple hours. It's at $10.49 now, but it appears to be missing the cap iron/chip breaker. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&itema17578855
------------------------------------------------------- Have you read the new book "What Would Machiavelli Do?" ---------------------------- http://diversify.com Dynamic, Interactive Websites! --------------------------------------------------------

I just had my type11 5-1/2 delivered. $89 incl shipping. It's a heavy sob. Prolly make a good user too. NOT! SH

I saw that one last night! The place to buy a new tote is "the museum" http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/ congrats on it.

No, the cap iron is on there, the assembly is mounted up-side down under the lever cap.
Alex
calmly ranted:

Patrick Leach doesn't care for the #6 and so rates it poorly on his webpages. I think this has supressed the market price of the #6 by $10 - $20 making it easier to get a good buy on a #6 than on any other plane.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) wrote in
<snip>

customers. I'm quite fond of the one I bought from him last year.
Not being quite in O'Deen's class, I doubt I could get good use from an #8. A #7 has been promised to me, when a relative finally cleans out his basement workshop. He swears he has three of them, but they haven't been seen for some time....
Patriarch

A numbah 8 isn't just for those of us who can balance one on our galootish fingertips. If your bench is at the proper height, and the sole is waxed-up properlike, you'll find the extra mass of a #8 (not to mention the wider blade) to be more boon than bane. Myself, I keep my type 5 #8 (a pretty darned old 24" jointer plane, Jeff) set to a very fine cut, and use it for final truing of an edge or the face of a board. The bulk of the rough work is done with a jack plane or a fore plane.
A #8 in hand is easily worth three #7's lurking in some relative's garage ;o).
Humbly submitted, O'Deen
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) wrote in qwertyuiop'd:

You do make it sound tempting... Maybe an email to the Merchant of Ashby is in order.
A #ANYTHING is worth planes lurking unused in some relative's garage.
Patriarch
patriarch < wrote:

Well, this month's list, from 6 Sept , included: ST24 #8 jointer; a ca.1895 example, with all original parts, including full length iron; no damage to the rosewood, 95% japanning; great worker that only needs to be honed to start peeling off shavings; 24" of mean, wood-eating metal. $165.00
and he alsways has a few items he doesn't put on the list. Joe