Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

Page 3 of 4
Dave,
Length of plane? Depends on how uneven the surface, the further apart the high spots the longer plane you should use. I do all my jointing with a #7 which is around 2' long.
Yes you have to look at your work but not till you're fairly close to being done. You can read the surface by how the plane is performing and the shavings. When you're getting a full width shaving the full length of the board, you're close. You're eye can judge the straightness of the board but you'll need a small square to judge for perpendicular.
A trick I use is to skew my jointer plane slightly so it exagerates how perpendicular the planes is to the work.
David
says...

Hey folks, think about this. Obviously using a hand plane for jointing a board possible to do since for along long time that was the ONLY way to do it. You know, back when there was no electric and stuff? If you cant get it to work using a handplane its either the wrong tool or you. Simple as that!
Jim
Bay Area Dave wrote:

the piece of wood that you're working on will never be perfectly flat because the reference surface is not the same as the cutting edge.
To cut the wood perfectly flat, it seems that the plane should be divided into two separate pieces. The part of the plane that is in front of the blade could be raised to the height of the cut desired. The part of the plane that is behind the blade should be set so that the blade and the sole of the plane are at the same level.
It might help to visualize a router table set-up as an edge jointer. To avoid snipe, the outfeed fence and the cutter are in line. The infeed fence is moved back a little (the depth of cut desired). Couldn't the toe of the plane be thought of as the infeed fence on a router table and the heel of the plane be thought of as the outfeed fence?
that's PRECISELY why I can't see how a plane can make anything truly FLAT. A jointer wouldn't if it was set up like a plane. So what are we missing? Or is the emperor buck naked again? <g>
dave
Richards wrote:

: You've made a very good point. If the blade projects beneath the plane, : the piece of wood that you're working on will never be perfectly flat : because the reference surface is not the same as the cutting edge. : : To cut the wood perfectly flat, it seems that the plane should be : divided into two separate pieces. The part of the plane that is in : front of the blade could be raised to the height of the cut desired. : The part of the plane that is behind the blade should be set so that the : blade and the sole of the plane are at the same level.
On my web site is the result of an experiment that relates to this point.
Please look at 'Planing Notes' - 'Plane Body Deflection'.
Jeff G
-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk Website www.amgron.clara.net

Also, as I mentioned before in this same thread, there are Japanese planes. They are designed just this way, the front of the sole, forwards of the blade, is a bit higher than the back. THe back is at the same level as the blade.
Or are we only talkin' about American planes here? Sorry, if so :-/
James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com http:// snipped-for-privacy@breck.org
Thanks to everyone for the lively discussion. I just ordered the Veritas low angle smoother...
dave
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Some 12' #3 Ipe, and you're all set.
<g> Why don't YOU show me how to tame that bad boy? dave
Michael Baglio

Dave,
This is why you piss-off people like Scott (and the faceless rabble, too tired to play tard-ball with you anymore). I plugged this into Google:
"hand plane differently jointer group:rec.woodworking"
And got this: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=hand+plane+differently+jointer+group:rec.woodworking+group:rec.woodworking&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=rec.woodworking&safe=off&selm=Pine.SUN.3.96.971023184113.26434E-100000%40galileo.cris.com&rnum=1
Now, this isn't to say you're not allowed to ask a question. Any significant discussion is liable to be cyclical (just keep reading those woodworking mags for a few years), but the most minor effort (and anyone's part) will at least allow you to begin to have a sniff of a clue of a partial brain-cell of an idea of a notion of what the hell you're talking about instead of the handtool equivalent of asking in alt.astronomy: Geeze fellers, why is the sky cullerd blue? (BTW - it's because the light wave-length our eye detects as blue is the most widely scattered by our gaseous atmosphere). There's a decent explanation here: http://world.std.com/~mmcirvin/bluesky/index.html .
It isn't rocket science, Dave. DAMHIKT.
O'Deen
the only people "pissed off" are the cranky SOB's. Everyone else who has contributed to this thread has been a gentleman. Perhaps you and cramer could use a little "charm"?
For a while I thought this thread would avoid the nasty comments that a handful of the Wreckers are wont to make. Thanks to all who contributed USEFUL, ON-TOPIC posts.
Olguin, you have lowered yourself to Cramer's level. I didn't think anyone else was in his league. QED
dave
Patrick Olguin wrote: snip rude comments

Oh, yes, of course. The problem *must* be with EVERYBODY ELSE. It couldn't possibly be with YOU.

WTF?? BAD, suggesting that *others* "could use a little charm"? Pot, kettle, black. Physician, heal thyself. Etc.

but you can't take it.

Naw. He was simply pointing out, more politely than most, that you should develop the habit of seeking out information on your own, instead of yelping for help on each and every one of the all too frequent occasions when you find yourself bewildered.

If you think that was "rude", Dave, you've led a *very* sheltered life.
["rude" comments restored below]
[...]
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 20:21:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

please tell the dougster that my alleged shortcomings do nothing, nada, nyet, to negate Cramer's disgusting off-topic personal attacks.
how can he argue with me unless you are going to keep quoting him?
At least my glass is half full.
dave
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote: snip

why hello BAD i was worried you may have plonked me too. i can sleep better now thank you. :-} skeez
I'm sure you would be heartbroken if I gave you the snub! :)
dave
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

On 13 Nov 2003, Bay Area Dave whimpered unto rec.woodworking:

    Was it something I said?

    The hallmark of BAD's presence here is the way he blunders unarmed into a battle of wits.
Are your eyes brown?
Art

is your neck red?
dave
Wood Butcher wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 20:38:11 GMT, " snipped-for-privacy@home.com"

No...he's being his usual prick of a self again.
Have a nice week...
Trent