Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

I'll go a step further. A lazy question leading to an annoying thread with a good outcome, hearing from O'Deen again.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Also, as I mentioned before in this same thread, there are Japanese planes. They are designed just this way, the front of the sole, forwards of the blade, is a bit higher than the back. THe back is at the same level as the blade.

Or are we only talkin' about American planes here? Sorry, if so :-/

James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com http:// snipped-for-privacy@breck.org

Reply to
brocpuffs

Hey, I started at "ground zero" last year in this WW thing, so I MUST be learning something, despite your pessimistic prognostication. :)

I characterized your style as "flowery"; not you.

I do pay attention when the message is about woodworking. I've little to no patience with extricating a tidbit of info from a sea of irrelevant muck. (this is in general -- I'm not saying what you wrote here is muck, at all.)

dave

Patrick Olgu>

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Ya know, I gotta start using these Walt Disney references in my stuff sose asta give it da proper gravitas and sech.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

The plane removes all waves in the wood with wavelengths shorter than the length of the plane. If you plane with a 24 inch jointer plane you will only be left with waves longer than 24 inches. So it works if it is flat to within accepted tolerances.

Reply to
Marc

Marc,

That sounds simple enough even a lout such as yours truly can understand.

The downside to this knowledge is that one paltry plane isn't gonna "cut" it. :) Lord help me if they ever cancel my Visa card...

dave

Marc wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Why not? Are you assuming use of a jointer without a fence, or with a fence not square to the tables?

See Gorman's post. It will be VERY slightly concave.

Again, assuming your fence is not square.

And my jointer's cutter is square to the fence -- same result.

Easy. Shooting board.

Very true.

Yes, and some jobs better and some not as well.

Interesting. I wonder why we see other than scrub planes on the old tool market. I guess the rest were just used for decoration...

Unless you prefer the surface left by a plane.

Reply to
alexy

If ya use the right oxidizer and fuel, ya don't need a steenking match - just a patented butterfly valve and a memo to get the hell outta the way. Unfortunately, rocket science has been "ruined," by the introduction of oodles of software, resulting in a great deal of ambiguity, uncertainty, fear and loathing, and statements like, "It isn't wrong - we just haven't made up our minds yet." Not unlike rec.woodworking on the odd day.

O'Deen

OBWW - screw it. I'm gonna go home early and do some obww on my own time. ;)

Reply to
Patrick Olguin

| > And since we're on the subject, isn't rocket science basically fuel, | > oxidizer, nozzle and a match? | | If ya use the right oxidizer and fuel, ya don't need a steenking | match

If you use the right fuel you don't even need an oxidizer, just a good catalyst.

In any case it's like saying woodworking is just a hunk of wood and a sharp metal edge. The devil in both woodworking and rocketry is in the details--many of which will kill you if not adequately respected.

--Jay

Reply to
Jay Windley

Dave,

I will often take a plane to clean up the edge after I've run a board through on my jointer (PM 60). When the knives on my jointer are fresh and recently set, the surface left by the jointer is very, very good and runing a hand plane over the surface does little to improve things. However, as the knives wear a bit, maybe develop a nick or two, develop a slight crown or hollow (were talking maybe .002"), or if I run a board over the jointer too fast, using a hand plane will improve things a bunch. So now I use a plane to clean up edge joints all the time. Do you need a long plane (i.e. #6, #7, #8) to do this? No, because the edge is square to a face and straight. The plane, finely tuned, is just there to take off a whisper thin shaving to clean up slight imperfections in the surface. Now, sometimes the edge, generally due to a technique screw up on my part, needs a little more work. Then I make sure I pull out a jointer. What plane do I usually use? I have two #7's (a new Clifton and an Type 11 Stanley/Bailey) in my arsenal and I have the Type 11 tuned to take a very thin shaving (IIRC .0015") and I leave a 386 jointer fence attached to it always. So, when I clean up a jointed edge before a glue up, or to fix a bonehead error, I just reach for my Bailey #7 w/386 fence and pass it down the edge. That way I'm consistent and the edge always comes out great. But in reality, if the edge is straight and square then any finely set plane will work for cleaning up slight machine marks (generally scallops)

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Steve,

Now THAT'S a finely detailed description of when and with what to clean up a board. Thanks for the succinctly written explanation of what you use, and the reasons for bothering to plane a jointed surface. You have explained this for me in practical terms that I relate to.

To summarize: well tuned, sharp bladed jointer, run at optimum pace, provides a perfect edge ready for glue-up. Dull blades, less than stellar technique requires a bit of touch-up.

How am I doing? :)

dave

Steve Wils> Dave,

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

And besides, rocket science is all going to be shipped offshore to China in the next couple of years.

ObWW: Maybe they'll put a space facility right next to one of the factories that makes woodworking stuff. ;-)

Ken Muldrew

I am convinced......... You have to be Frazer Crane

ooop I forgot Dr.

Reply to
O D

There you go Dave, a Stanley #7 (in a "Sweetheart" box no less)

a #386 jointer fence

better hurry, they will probably be sold by tomorrow.

Nova

No fair! I put a smiley in my post.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

^^^^^^^^^^^

Are those the woodworking planes that have holes drilled in their souls so they can be hung on a nail? Or are they those gliders that guys hang underneath of?

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

there are a few guys around here with holes in their SOULS...

Fred the Red Shirt wrote: snip

snip

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

and you are? ...

Obviously Demented.

dave

O D wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

And one that BADly needs some soles in his hole.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

there is a lot of anal talk around here. why are there so many "preverts"? NO, that is NOT a typo; anyone care to guess the origin of that usage? Non baby-boomers need not apply...

dave

Wood Butcher wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave