Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge?

Page 1 of 4
I was thinking about the difference between a jointer (powered) and a plane. A jointer has the outfeed table level with the blade so that as the work passes over the blade and onto the outfeed table, if the operator uses good technique to keep the board flat on the outfeed table, the board pretty much has to come out FLAT.
A hand plane on the other hand isn't built that way. It has a projecting blade. So unless the sole of the plane is extraordinarily long, how can you get a perfectly machined straight board? Just for grins, I was using a tiny hand plane to plane the edge of a board and found that no matter how hard I tried, the small plane "unflattened" the straight edge I started with. The more passes, the worse it got. How long of a plane do you need to get a perfectly flat result on say a 2' board? a 6' board? Is it MOSTLY technique, or do you have to have a reference straight edge and keep checking your work constantly as you plane? OR do you just take a few light passes over an essentially flat board to start with, and know that it is flat? In other words, when I use the jointer, I KNOW it's flat. I don't have to check it. Can I do the same thing with a plane, or do you have to stop, eyeball it with a reference straight-edge, and then touch it up an little here, a little there?
Lay it on me, WW gods! :)
dave
On 12 Nov 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

You are a certifiable idiot.
Why do you think a long plane is called a jointer plane?

[... How is it possible that a hand plane joints? ]

Not because of that question.

Just that a jointer plane is called jointer plane is *not* an explanation of how it works, and it is by no means obvoius that jointing with a jointer plane does work.
On 12 Nov 2003, Juergen Hannappel spake unto rec.woodworking:

    You are new here ;-)

    For the first part, I agree, the name does not explain the working of a jointer plane.
    'Automobile' doesn't tell us anything about internal combustion or differential gearing, however, we understand it to mean a self-propelled vehicle. Nor do we need to understand how it works to know THAT it works.
    I will make the huge assumptive leap that a power jointer is called a power jointer because it performs the task performed by its predecessor, the jointer plane. If, by 'jointing', we mean 'truing an edge square to the face of a board', than I think it is indeed obvious that the expected result of using a jointer plane is a squared, true edge.
    Forgive my sarcasm in the initial post. BAD's unwillingness to make any effort whatsoever in finding an answer to any question that pops into his head, other than asking someone else to take the trouble, is like a blackberry seed in a wisdom tooth. Not painful, but persisitently annoying.
Scott
In typed: <snip>

Hmmm..... My teeth must be more sensitive than yours.
:)
writes:

But BAD was asking about straightness, not squareness.

The formal scientific name for the thermodynamic cycle on which the 4 cycle engine runs is the 'Otto' cycle, named for a German engineer.
'Automobile' is actually a corruption of 'Ottomobile.'
--

FF

;-)

Just like Cramer is a corruption of the gene pool...
dave
Fred the Red Shirt wrote: snip

I don't think so. But it was a nice try. Automobile is auto-mobile or self moving/motion. Just like autograph is your self written mark and autobiography is your self written story. Back when the term was initiated all self moving vehicles, including the electrics and steamers, were called automobiles.
Art

On 13 Nov 2003, Wood Butcher spake unto rec.woodworking:

    And I suppose the bra was NOT invented by a guy named Titzling? Or the toilet by Thomas Crapper?
Nope. http://www.snopes.com/business/origins/bra.asp http://www.snopes.com/business/names/crapper.asp
Art
wrote in message

wrote in message

No fair! I put a smiley in my post.
--

FF

They still are.

as usual Scott is worthless at answering any woodworking questions, which is why he is my premier plonkee.
I'm trying to understand the mechanics of planing to understand how I'd get an edge as flat as on a power jointer, using a, say, low angle block plane.
dave
PLEASE try not to quote him... :)
dave
Juergen Hannappel wrote:

Scott - I'm no fan of BAD. But I've wondered the same thing. Especially at the end grain edges.
Bay Area Dave wrote:

It sounds like you might benefit from a little light reading about the function and use of hangplanes. Taunton Press has a good volume by Garrett Hack titled, The Hand Plane Book (ISBN 1-56158-317-0).
Tim

^^^^^^^^^^^
Are those the woodworking planes that have holes drilled in their souls so they can be hung on a nail? Or are they those gliders that guys hang underneath of?
--

FF

"Don't forget, at least one misspelling is mandatory in
any spelling flame."
there are a few guys around here with holes in their SOULS...
Fred the Red Shirt wrote: snip

snip
And one that BADly needs some soles in his hole.
Art

there is a lot of anal talk around here. why are there so many "preverts"? NO, that is NOT a typo; anyone care to guess the origin of that usage? Non baby-boomers need not apply...
dave