Had A Tablesaw Top Refinished Today

Page 2 of 2
Scott
I took the top in three pieces. Not sure if I could bend it out of shape just by bolting it on unless something was trapped between the the top and the cabinet.
-- Eric P

cast iron will flex more than you probably think. if the cabinet rim and the mounting bosses of the saw table aren't in the same plane, the top will probably be the one that gives.
At least on my top, they grinding guys also gave the backside a touch up, so the three attachment points on the table are coplanar and parallel to the top surface. When I set it on the cabinet it seems to rest flush on all three mounting surfaces on the cabinet flanges. If that wasn't the case you could shim it so there was less possibility for distortion when you tighten the bolts, or bang the mounting flange on the cabinet up or down to match the top.
I think the same problem could be had with a mint top since it really speaks to alignment of the top to the cabinet in the mounting areas.
I doubt they grind the tables originally with them mounted on the cabinet. Seems like you should figure out how to have a good connection between the top and cabinet rather than compensating for it by grinding. And all the blanchard machines I have seem (admittedly not that many) couldn't take something as thick as a cabinet plus top between the magnetic chuck and the grinding head.
Anyway, good point that it is something to watch out for.
-Holly
snipped-for-privacy@igetenoughspamalreadythanks.com wrote in message

My woodhaven mitre gauge arrived yesterday. For the record on this topic, it does stick up out of the reground table by up to maybe 10 mils in some places. I'll probably just do some belt sanding on the bottom of the slider bar.
-Holly