GRR-RIPPER - What do you think?

I viewed a couple of videos at http://www.jointech.com/gripper.html on a push jig called the GRR-RIPPER. Whenever I see a commercially made gizmo like this, I try to figure out how to adapt the ideas to something I could make for myself. But there are too many nuances in this one to consider making it myself. This device could be viewed as ingenuous or another widget whose time will pass as another fad.
I'm never thrilled with anything that depends on working over an exposed sawblade, but some of the cuts in the video could not be made any other way (that I know about).
What do you think?
Bob

I don't have one, but I too would be interested in hearing some comments. It certainly does look interesting, and if it works well, would be a valuable addition to the workshop.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Veritas Jointer Blade Sharpener - Miller Dowel System - Robert Sorby Woodturning Chisels - Kwikstand Portable Table Saw Stand - Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw ------------------------------------------------------------

I use mine whenever I'm cutting narrow strips or short length pieces. You do need two of the things when you cut pieces longer than about 18 inches. Below is one way I use it.
http://www.wood-workers.com/users/llhote/guideblocks/guideblockspage.htm
Larry
--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO

Bob Davis wrote:

Yea. Me too. Looks like a good idea, maybe.
>But there are too many nuances in this one to consider

Just how narrow can you cut with the thing?

I just recently acquired a table saw. Been using a RAS for about 30 yrs and made a "device" to hold material to "rip" narrow peices on it, up to the "crosscut" limit at least. ...lew...
The video shows the user ripping 1/4" strips without any trouble. Impressive.

Seem to me a 2x4 scrap with a piece of rubber will do the same thing and will not limit you to 1/4" and larger rips. IIRC cutting narrower than 1/4" cuts the jig.

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 04:28:45 GMT, "Bob Davis"

I've had one for a year and a half. I use it a lot. I think it's a good deal, but pricey! But then I do a lot of cutting of small pieces and not many large construction projects. I feel a lot safer using it - - - -so I use it! My hands/fingers are worth a lot to me.
Bill =(:-[ ] open wide Bill D. =(:-[ ] open wide
Pricey, but worth it to me. I reach for mine a lot for those narrow cuts. Easy to set up and change as you go. Just wipe the rubber grips clean of dust every now and then. Damp paper towel works for me. Wayne

After having seen the online video of this, I'd definetly say its worth the money, and not worth trying to copy.
John
"Instead of using a rail and stile bit use mortise construction for the rail and stiles and frame the panels on both sides with mitred trim stock, home made or purchased. Attached is picture of the one I made from 1 1/2" Red Oak.
Ken
Not having a table saw myself, I could simply not have a clue what I'm talking about, but what happens if it slips and the thing hits the blade? I know it has rubber nonslip pads, but that doesn't always guarantee you won't accidentally lean on it hard enough to push it into the blade.
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 04:28:45 GMT, "Bob Davis"

It's made out of fairly tough plastic. I would think that if you were to push it into the blade, it would protect your hand fairly well. You'd probably have to buy a replacement grr-ripper, but that's far cheaper than a new hand.
I bought one on sale at Rockler, and love it for cutting small parts. My only wish is that it would have some sort of drop down tab to catch the back of the work piece. It's never slipped on me yet, but the extra assurance would be nice.
snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (Xane "MegaWolf" T.) says...

I have one that I used to cut narrow strips for a mission-style coffee table. Very good for that purpose--I wouldn't have wanted to cut those strips without it. It is expensive, and I damaged one while using it, requiring an expensive replacement part. All in all though, I thought it was worth it. HTH Eric to e-mail, remove 'nojunk' from e-mail address
Bob,
I have had one for about a year. I use it all the time. I love it. Worth every cent!!
-Grampa Simpson