GRR-RIPPER - What do you think?

I viewed a couple of videos at

on a push jig called the GRR-RIPPER. Whenever I see a commercially made gizmo like this, I try to figure out how to adapt the ideas to something I could make for myself. But there are too many nuances in this one to consider making it myself. This device could be viewed as ingenuous or another widget whose time will pass as another fad.

I'm never thrilled with anything that depends on working over an exposed sawblade, but some of the cuts in the video could not be made any other way (that I know about).

What do you think?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

I don't have one, but I too would be interested in hearing some comments. It certainly does look interesting, and if it works well, would be a valuable addition to the workshop.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Veritas Jointer Blade Sharpener

- Miller Dowel System

- Robert Sorby Woodturning Chisels

- Kwikstand Portable Table Saw Stand

- Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw

Woodman

I use mine whenever I'm cutting narrow strips or short length pieces. You do need two of the things when you cut pieces longer than about 18 inches. Below is one way I use it.

Lawrence L'Hote

I bought one recently and have only used it 3 or 4 times. Like Larry, I used it to cut narrow strips - in my case to make 1/4" thick banding for some cabinetry. In the past I would have indexed the table saw fence, and moved it incrementally as I cut the strips off a wider piece. With the Grripper, it saves a LOT of time for these operations, and since you're not moving the fence all the strips come out exactly the same without any trial and error.

In my case I only have one of the units, but I was cutting on a board about

7 feet long. I didn't use the Gripper until the last 2 feet or so and just fed the rest of the board by hand. I don't really see why this is a problem, and I don't think I'll ever buy a 2nd one unless I damage the first one.

All in all, I'd say this gives the user a lot of control and allows you to make these otherwise tedious and/or dangerous cuts safely and quickly.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Yea. Me too. Looks like a good idea, maybe.

Just how narrow can you cut with the thing?

I just recently acquired a table saw. Been using a RAS for about 30 yrs and made a "device" to hold material to "rip" narrow peices on it, up to the "crosscut" limit at least. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Seem to me a 2x4 scrap with a piece of rubber will do the same thing and will not limit you to 1/4" and larger rips. IIRC cutting narrower than 1/4" cuts the jig.

Reply to
Leon

I've had one for a year and a half. I use it a lot. I think it's a good deal, but pricey! But then I do a lot of cutting of small pieces and not many large construction projects. I feel a lot safer using it - - - -so I use it! My hands/fingers are worth a lot to me.

Bill =(:-[ ] open wide Bill D. =(:-[ ] open wide

Reply to
Bill D

Pricey, but worth it to me. I reach for mine a lot for those narrow cuts. Easy to set up and change as you go. Just wipe the rubber grips clean of dust every now and then. Damp paper towel works for me. Wayne

Reply to
Wayne K.

After having seen the online video of this, I'd definetly say its worth the money, and not worth trying to copy.

John

Reply to
John Thompson

Reply to
Xane "MegaWolf" T.

I have one that I used to cut narrow strips for a mission-style coffee table. Very good for that purpose--I wouldn't have wanted to cut those strips without it. It is expensive, and I damaged one while using it, requiring an expensive replacement part. All in all though, I thought it was worth it. HTH Eric to e-mail, remove 'nojunk' from e-mail address

Reply to
Eric G.

It's made out of fairly tough plastic. I would think that if you were to push it into the blade, it would protect your hand fairly well. You'd probably have to buy a replacement grr-ripper, but that's far cheaper than a new hand.

I bought > Not having a table saw myself, I could simply not have a clue what I'm

Reply to
kenR

The video shows the user ripping 1/4" strips without any trouble. Impressive.

Bob Davis

"Instead of using a rail and stile bit use mortise construction for the rail and stiles and frame the panels on both sides with mitred trim stock, home made or purchased. Attached is picture of the one I made from 1 1/2" Red Oak.

Ken

Reply to
Ken K

Bob,

I have had one for about a year. I use it all the time. I love it. Worth every cent!!

-Grampa Simpson

Reply to
grampa simpson