"Grr-Ripper"

Has anyone used the device called the "Grr-Ripper" that is currently on the market? They use the "bullet proof your fingers" slogan. I make a lot of cutting boards out of birdseye and curly maple that require ripping strips as thin as 1/2"......it looks like it might beat the feather boards and push sticks I currently use, but I was hoping to talk to some one that has tried it before shelling out $50 bucks!

Thanks!

Frank

Reply to
Frank & Renee

Grrripers are nice, but I make these as needed for $3:

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

If the spacing works out right, they control both pieces of wood, which is nice. If the spacing isn't right, they do no more than other push sticks.

Reply to
toller

Hi Barry, Thanks for the link to your page. I have on my favorites list a listing for various pages that I have found by various wreckers and other termites. You have made this list because of the instructions on the sleds. I will heed all warnings and exercise due caution. Thanks again for the inspiration and the destruction, er um, sorry, IN, yeah that's it, INstructions. Beej (GD&R)

Reply to
Beej-in-GA

Email if something isn't clear. I like to help.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I have one, and it works great. I've been using it lately to cut kids blocks out of scrap. I'd like to buy another one for long cuts, but not at the price they are asking.

Reply to
justme

On most online forums (including this NG) where products are discussed, it is rare to find an item or brand that doesn't have both its supporters and detractors. But I can't recall a case where someone who has purchased a Grr-Ripper expressed regret that they had done so. That includes me. I am very happy with mine.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

I've been studying Jim Tolpin's book "Table Saw Magic," and I am very impressed with the variety of fixtures he describes.

He makes a special fence with pegboard on one side, and attaches a shop vac to it. He uses this to make thin sheets for model planes.

He also describes a pushstick that straddles the fence.

Barry's mousepad ripper looks like a good idea as well. I'll have to remember this one.

I think one rule is, if what you are doing scares you, then don't do it.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

I have two GRR-rippers and also the Grip-tite magnetic featherboards with metal fence plate. I use the Grip-tites most of the time but the GRR-rippers are indispensible. Be aware that the GRR-ripper is useful for short stock - about 18" maximum length and that's a stretch. If you are ripping longer pieces, the GRR-ripper is not appropriate.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Although I seldom spring for items like that, I was given one a couple of years ago and just bought a mate for it at the latest ww $how here in Houston.

I find that two are much more useful than one.

The design is handy when cutting sheet goods, and for cutting dadoes in stock, as two of them in a hand-over-hand motion make it easy to keep a downward pressure that insures a consistent depth of cut in stock that might not be perfectly flat. I also like them over most other forms of push blocks for router table work ... IMO, they are better suited here, except for the sheet goods application, than on the table saw ... but again, two are more useful than one.

The above notwithstanding, and although handy if you can afford two, you can make something just as functional for a damn sight less.

FWIW, David Marks uses a push block that looks like an old iron made of plywood that has the same function and would also be easy to make lot less ... and B a r r y's also.

Reply to
Swingman

I have the GRR-Ripper and use them every day. They work great, well worth the money. The are designed and made very well. I highly recommend the Grr-Ripper. Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
aswr

For ripping thin strips the pushstick I made that rides the fence is a must. Quarter innch BB with a hook on the back end that holds down the front to avoid lifting is indispensible.

Reply to
nospambob

I bought the pair at a ww show. cmae with a dvd video as well. I really enjoy them on both the table saw and the router.

Reply to
speedbuggy

When speaking to others about the "Grr-Ripper" does one have to make the GRRRRRRRRRRRRR noise? I'm thinking it's kinda silly but then again it might just be me.

Unisaw A-100

Reply to
Unisaw A-100

Try here:

Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews
6 Reviews:

- WoodHaven Biscuit Master

- Veritas Saddle Square

- EZ Smart Guide System

- Ryobi EBS1310VK Belt Sander

- Incra V27 Miter Gauge

- GMC BJ110 Biscuit Joiner

Woodcrafter

I haven't tried that one, but I have a Craftsman (knockoff?) that looks like it is the same thing. It actually works really nicely, and the one I've got can double as a tenon cutter, and does a nice job of it. I'd be willing to be the Grr-Ripper is a bit better (or at least I'd hope so- the craftsman one was only $20) Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

of course you do. otherwise how will they know what you're talking about?

Reply to
bridger