Grizzly Japanese Chisels

Page 1 of 2
Has anyone seen these? Any opinions on the quality of laminated steel? I can see close-up they have hollowed backs, are they worth buying for at least a learning stage?
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G7102
Thanks all,
Alex
I haven't used those chisels but I think they're pretty good. For a wider selection of Japanese chisels go to www.japanwoodworker.com and click till you get to chisels. They have chisels from cheap to don't-tell-the-wife.
Lie-Nielson (http://www.lie-nielsen.com /) recently offered a set of chisels 4 chisels for about $250, if I remeber correctly). The chisels are not yet listed on their web page - I guess you can call them. I think they're stil getting their production line running but everything I've ever bought from LN is perfect -- I expect their chisels will be too.
Lee Valley also has some chisels: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?pageA504&category=1&SID=&ccurrency=2
In all cases, some of the chisels are so close in performance that it's difficult to take sides. Apply the rule: you get what you pay for. I bought a set from Lee Valley and find that I only use two of them. If I had it to do over, I'd buy 2 medium priced Japanese chisels (1/4 inch and 3/8 inch)
http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?dept_id 577
and two mortise chisels
http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?dept_id 592

On 27 Apr 2004 16:30:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:
I recently picked up some Hirsch chisels from Lee Valley. I don't have a ton of time on them yet, but I've been happy with them so far. The chisels took about 6-8 minutes each with Scary Sharp to flatten the backs and put on an initial edge, and it seems that the edge lasts much longer than my Blue Chips.
Barry

Is this a scary sharp system? http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&offerings_idY83
Thanks for your reply,
Alex
AArDvarK asks:

Yes. Looks fairly interesting, too, but you might be able to find the glass locally at a lower price. The paper appears to be a fair-to-good deal, already cut. And I like that particular little non-complicated sharpening guide. If you want a trial package for yourself, it should owrk decently. But check both Lee Valley and McFeely's first for their renditions of SS.
Charlie Self "Wars spring from unseen and generally insignificant causes, the first outbreak being often but an explosion of anger." Thucydides

Okay thanks, good advise. Alex

I've got that sharpening guide, or one just like it (made by General?) IMHO the Veritas is simpler and better. I had some trouble firmly clamping the blade with other and you you can also use the Veritas for skewed blades. The Veritas angle guide is nice too.
--

FF

Yes, although many have put one together with found items. I dispensed with the glass and use my jointer bed, others use granite tiles.
The Rockler set up is a quick and easy way to get started, but a tad expensive.
Barry

Yeah that's the first thing I thought, too much. There is a glass business within walking distance. I could get a thicker peice. And everything else at the HIC, thanks. Alex
Never Enough Money wrote:

Look here: They are nice. It was worth the wait.
RB

Those are awseome, thanks for the link. Alex
Great reply, I havr seen all those sites and more except the japanwoodworker.com one, they have the same chisels as Grizzly, as their own name brand. But like I said I need to spend less for as good as possible, those basic ones seem good for that but I don't understand about this "method" they talk about with softer steel laminated with harder steel, then the backs are hollowed. With that wouldn't the sharpening- over-time run into the hollowing? But with these and their level of RC hardening they seem to be the right price, would you trust them?
Alex
AArDvarK asks:

You might well run into the hollows on the backs, but you're going to be so old and decrepit it won't matter.
If you're asking if Japan Woodworker can be trusted, the answer is yes.
Charlie Self "For NASA, space is still a high priority." Dan Quayle

No I meant the chisels, but thanks very much on the advise. I'll probably get the Grizzly's or JWW ones depending on either companies politics of business, shipping costs and warrentees.
Alex
JWW is ok. I ordered from them earlier this year. There was an error in their processing of the order but they made it right quickly and at their expense.
RB
AArDvarK wrote:

I bought two from Grizzly just to try them out. I don't think they are as expensive or the same quality as JWW. My first reaction was they chipped rather easily. I gave them to my son, the real woodworker, and I'll check with him how they have fared. FWIW, I broke down and got some Two Cherries and feel it was worth it, not really that much $$ all things considered for the life of the tools.
AArDvarK wrote:

SNIP
I've found that using slightly steeper angles on my Japanese chisels prevents chipping (Leonard Lee's sharpening book discusses this issue).
David

You guys mean chipping as in chips out of the metal??? Now that would be an outrage! No way do I want that!
Alex

Choice of bevel angle is usually determined by what you're doing with the chisel--my paring chisels are between 20-25 degrees; chisels I use for chopping dovetails are ground around 35 degrees. Try chopping dovetails in hard maple with a chisel ground at 20 degrees and it will probably chip (or seriously deform the edge).
If you don't already have Leonard Lee's book on sharpening, I highly recommend it. He talks a lot on bevel angles.
david

the hard layer at the cutting edge of a japanese laminated chisel is *very* hard and also very brittle. it takes an amazing edge and holds it very well- but chips easily. if you tend to be rough with your tools, these aren't for you.