Grizzly G0555 Bandsaw problem.

I have 2 problems with this saw: 1. Cutting a straight cut with the saws miter guage. After cutting a board a few times and checking it with my square it is always way off. The guage is perfectly square in the bandsaw. 2. I cannot resaw with this saw. I tried to cut a 1/4" slab and it was a disaster. I thought that maybe my bearings were defective so I thought maybe if I splurge and buy the Carter guides I'll cure these problems. After installing the new guides it didn't cure a thing, so $169.00 was for naught. Yes all of my adjustments are dead on. I have a 3/8ths" blade installed. I don't know if this could cause the problems or not and YES the blade tension is set according to the tension scale on the saw. I would very much appreciate all of your comments and suggestions. Especially, from those of you who have this Grizzly G0555 bandsaw. Thanks again.
On 2/27/2010 1:06 PM, Pete wrote:

Blade drift ... here is a fairly good way to compensate in a video instead of by words:
http://brianhavens.us/resource/179
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 2/27/10 1:23 PM, Swingman wrote:

Great tip.
--

-MIKE-

"Properly" tuning mine, AND THEN switching to a TimberWolf blade *eliminated* all drift on my G0555X.
See Mark Duginske's "Band Saw Book," or search the 'net for "proper tuning" techniques.
The TW blade, though, is ... simply night and day better.

I just don't understand what your trying to accomplish. Generaly if I see your name in a thread I just skip it. I tend to me a lurker, and I can find threads that are of value by looking at who is posting. Lately you seem to be able to trash all of the threads. Congrats. Mike M
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 21:17:31 -0800, Mike M

Yeah. Invoking the "TimberWolf" word is a total thread-ender.
:rolleyes:
On 2/28/10 12:21 PM, Neil Brooks wrote:

Uh-oh. Something I don't know, here? Something wrong with their blades or an inside joke?
--

-MIKE-

I have this saw, since last year. I tossed the blade that came with it, and bought some from Rockler or somewhere. They seemed to work fine. Just recently, I bought the 6 inch extension from Griz, and have been sawing some juniper logs with a 3/4 inch 3tpi blade. I see a little blade drift now and then, but not a problem. The other tools in the shop fix that easily.
The miter is a little tacky, but does the job. If I need really accurate cuts, I use the table saw, or by hand, Hope this helps.....
On 3/1/2010 11:11 AM, rich wrote:

You're right, as band saw blade drift is a characteristic of the blade. Almost every blade will exhibit some drift depending upon the tooth configuration, some much more than others.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:06:05 -0800 (PST), the infamous Pete

Go to the library, Amazon, or eBay and pick up a copy of Mark Duginske's _Band Saw Handbook_. Read it, follow the suggestions, and see if you haven't fixed your problem. Highly recommended.
--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

There's an article in Fine Woodworking #173, by Michael Fortune that offers an alternative when dealing with blade drift. Fortune suggests that if your cut is not parallel to the fence, adjust the tracking adjustment for the top wheel. If the blade is not centered at the top of the crown on the wheel, the blade becomes twisted at the table, causing drift.
Check for correct alignment by cutting just enough into the stock that it lines up with the back of the blade, and look for equal gaps from the wood to the blade on both sides of the cut.
I've had good results with this.

What kind of blade are you using? Fortune suggests a 1/2" 3 TPI with large gullets for general purpose use, including resawing. Don't overtension, and don't force the blade into the wood, take it slow.
On 03/02/2010 10:24 AM, Jim Weisgram wrote:

I said pretty much that same thing in a similar conversation we had here a couple of months ago. The tires on the drive wheels have a crown, and depending on where the blade is riding (centered on the crown, in front of it, or behind) the blade is likely to be twisted accordingly, thus contributing to "drift". Blades have their own characteristics and personalities so tracking is not the only factor, but it's a definite contributor.

I have the G0555 with the 6" riser. I bought the saw and installed a new 1/2" x 105" x 3 tpi blade, then tried to adjust for drift. Unfortunately, no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to cut a straight line. I maxed out the drift adjustments on the fence and still couldn't cut straight. Resawing results were terrible, even trying to follow a line freehand. I checked and rechecked my adjustments, but nothing helped. So, the saw was mostly unusable and just sat parked in a corner.
Then, last month, I decided to try a new blade for it. Wow, what a difference. I easily resawed a board to 1/4" thickness. I still haven't had the time to adjust the fence for drift, but the blade was obviously the culprit in my case.
So, even if you have a new blade, I recommend trying another one. It might solve the problems you are experiencing.
Anthony
[...]

Well, don't keep us in suspense any longer: what brand of blade did you have originally, and what did you replace it with?
Doug,

Hmm... I had to dig through my old receipts to find out. :)
I bought the original blade direct from Grizzly (in 2007), an H8561 (105" X 1/2" X .025" X 3 Pos Claw Blade). I just checked their web site and it appears they no longer sell this blade.
The replacement was a Timber Wolf Bandsaw Blade 1/2" x 105", 4 TPI, purchased from Woodcraft in Jan 2010.
Hope this helps.
Anthony

Original-equipment blades are notoriously mediocre. Timber Wolf is a definite step up. Next time, though, try an Olsen blade. I've found them to be better than the Timber Wolf blades (stay sharp longer, and easier to get a straight cut) -- and *much* cheaper. I don't remember who originally recommended Olsen blades here, but whoever you are, my thanks.
Hi Doug,

Thanks, I'll try an Olsen blade next time, though I don't use my bandsaw much and that could take years. :) Of course, I may start using it more now that it cuts correctly.
Anthony
Doug Miller wrote:

My local Rockler store used to carry the Timberwolf line of bandsaw blades. A number of years ago they stopped carrying the Timberwolf blades in favor of the Olsen "All Pro". blades. I like the "All Pro" blades as well.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA