Grizzly G0555 Bandsaw problem.

I have 2 problems with this saw:

  1. Cutting a straight cut with the saws miter guage. After cutting a board a few times and checking it with my square it is always way off. The guage is perfectly square in the bandsaw.
  2. I cannot resaw with this saw. I tried to cut a 1/4" slab and it was a disaster. I thought that maybe my bearings were defective so I thought maybe if I splurge and buy the Carter guides I'll cure these problems. After installing the new guides it didn't cure a thing, so 9.00 was for naught. Yes all of my adjustments are dead on. I have a 3/8ths" blade installed. I don't know if this could cause the problems or not and YES the blade tension is set according to the tension scale on the saw. I would very much appreciate all of your comments and suggestions. Especially, from those of you who have this Grizzly G0555 bandsaw. Thanks again.
Reply to
Pete

Blade drift ... here is a fairly good way to compensate in a video instead of by words:

Swingman

Reply to
-MIKE-

"Properly" tuning mine, AND THEN switching to a TimberWolf blade

*eliminated* all drift on my G0555X.

See Mark Duginske's "Band Saw Book," or search the 'net for "proper tuning" techniques.

The TW blade, though, is ... simply night and day better.

Reply to
Neil Brooks

I just don't understand what your trying to accomplish. Generaly if I see your name in a thread I just skip it. I tend to me a lurker, and I can find threads that are of value by looking at who is posting. Lately you seem to be able to trash all of the threads. Congrats. Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Mucho appreciado! nice idea.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:06:05 -0800 (PST), the infamous Pete scrawled the following:

Go to the library, Amazon, or eBay and pick up a copy of Mark Duginske's _Band Saw Handbook_. Read it, follow the suggestions, and see if you haven't fixed your problem. Highly recommended.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah. Invoking the "TimberWolf" word is a total thread-ender.

:rolleyes:

Reply to
Neil Brooks

Uh-oh. Something I don't know, here? Something wrong with their blades or an inside joke?

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have this saw, since last year. I tossed the blade that came with it, and bought some from Rockler or somewhere. They seemed to work fine. Just recently, I bought the 6 inch extension from Griz, and have been sawing some juniper logs with a 3/4 inch 3tpi blade. I see a little blade drift now and then, but not a problem. The other tools in the shop fix that easily.

The miter is a little tacky, but does the job. If I need really accurate cuts, I use the table saw, or by hand, Hope this helps.....

Reply to
rich

You're right, as band saw blade drift is a characteristic of the blade. Almost every blade will exhibit some drift depending upon the tooth configuration, some much more than others.

Reply to
Swingman

There's an article in Fine Woodworking #173, by Michael Fortune that offers an alternative when dealing with blade drift. Fortune suggests that if your cut is not parallel to the fence, adjust the tracking adjustment for the top wheel. If the blade is not centered at the top of the crown on the wheel, the blade becomes twisted at the table, causing drift.

Check for correct alignment by cutting just enough into the stock that it lines up with the back of the blade, and look for equal gaps from the wood to the blade on both sides of the cut.

I've had good results with this.

What kind of blade are you using? Fortune suggests a 1/2" 3 TPI with large gullets for general purpose use, including resawing. Don't overtension, and don't force the blade into the wood, take it slow.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

I said pretty much that same thing in a similar conversation we had here a couple of months ago. The tires on the drive wheels have a crown, and depending on where the blade is riding (centered on the crown, in front of it, or behind) the blade is likely to be twisted accordingly, thus contributing to "drift". Blades have their own characteristics and personalities so tracking is not the only factor, but it's a definite contributor.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I have the G0555 with the 6" riser. I bought the saw and installed a new

1/2" x 105" x 3 tpi blade, then tried to adjust for drift. Unfortunately, no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to cut a straight line. I maxed out the drift adjustments on the fence and still couldn't cut straight. Resawing results were terrible, even trying to follow a line freehand. I checked and rechecked my adjustments, but nothing helped. So, the saw was mostly unusable and just sat parked in a corner.

Then, last month, I decided to try a new blade for it. Wow, what a difference. I easily resawed a board to 1/4" thickness. I still haven't had the time to adjust the fence for drift, but the blade was obviously the culprit in my case.

So, even if you have a new blade, I recommend trying another one. It might solve the problems you are experiencing.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

In article , HerHusband wrote: [...]

Well, don't keep us in suspense any longer: what brand of blade did you have originally, and what did you replace it with?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Doug,

Hmm... I had to dig through my old receipts to find out. :)

I bought the original blade direct from Grizzly (in 2007), an H8561 (105" X 1/2" X .025" X 3 Pos Claw Blade). I just checked their web site and it appears they no longer sell this blade.

The replacement was a Timber Wolf Bandsaw Blade 1/2" x 105", 4 TPI, purchased from Woodcraft in Jan 2010.

Hope this helps.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Original-equipment blades are notoriously mediocre. Timber Wolf is a definite step up. Next time, though, try an Olsen blade. I've found them to be better than the Timber Wolf blades (stay sharp longer, and easier to get a straight cut) -- and *much* cheaper. I don't remember who originally recommended Olsen blades here, but whoever you are, my thanks.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hi Doug,

Thanks, I'll try an Olsen blade next time, though I don't use my bandsaw much and that could take years. :) Of course, I may start using it more now that it cuts correctly.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

My local Rockler store used to carry the Timberwolf line of bandsaw blades. A number of years ago they stopped carrying the Timberwolf blades in favor of the Olsen "All Pro". blades. I like the "All Pro" blades as well.

Reply to
Nova

I have the model you are dealing with. I've had mine a year and have a stac k of paperwork dealing with problems ( broken castings; poor castings. I ha ve yet to make saw dust. On the other hand, my brother-in-law has the next model down and has never had a problem. I chose the 0555lx because of the 1/8" blade for smaller scrolling jobs. Tr acking has been a major issue. Want to trade problems?

Reply to
paulsasallak1