Grizzly 8" Jointers

Page 2 of 2

I just bought a Grizzly 0500 model, I love it. I ordered it on a Sunday night, by Tuesday morning the trucking company was calling me asking when they could drop it off. I've ordered from Grizzly over the years and have always had great results. The jointer does great work and I'd highly recommend it. I'd have to echo the comments about running it off 220 vice 110V. (I don't think the 586 will rewire for 110) I'm military and live in base housing. My garage is my temporary workshop until I retire next year, so I plug it in to the dryer outlet. Not the most convenient set up but it works fine for now. I called Grizzly about the difference between the 0500 and the 0586 units since the prices are quite different. Their tech guy told me they are very similar except that the 0500 is made in Taiwan and the 0586 is made in Communist China. I chose the free world over subsidising the "other superpower". He said quality control is better in Taiwan than Mainland China....FWIW.

I recently got the Grizzly G1018HW 8" JOINTER W/HANDWHEELS. I had the same problem with power. I can't wire my garage with 220V without the condo association up my ass, so I decided to get a 110V switch and keep the 220V for when I move.
I have used small bench top jointers to large industrial size 16" jointers, and I love the 8" grizzly. The handwheels are a nice touch as it makes it real easy to adjust.
I haven't had any power problems with the 110V. I can't run my compressor, dust collector and jointer at the same time without popping my surge protector, but that's a small price to pay for an excellent jointer.
As far as whether you need a planer or not, you do. In my opinion, the four main machines of any woodworking shop are the table saw, jointer, planer and band saw.
It's difficult to dimension lumber without one of the four. However you can get away it without a band saw (for resawwing), but you can end up planing through alot of useable wood.
Aaron snipped-for-privacy@ocwoodworkers.com
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:59:51 GMT, "Shawn"

Grizzly's main website no longer shows any 8 inch jointers except the G0586 for $625.00 and the G9859Z for, um, $2,495.00. The 1018 and 0500 are now in Grizzly's Outlet Store. Get 'em while you can.
I bought the 586. About 760 with shipping and a spare set of knives.
The motor wiring box says it can be wired for 120, but 24 amps is a LOT of amps and the magnetic switch only works with 240. 12 amps is better. I put in a 20 amp 240 line for it.
Picked it up at the dock last week. Packaging was in good shape. A little worse for wear but solid and unbroken. Just got it together because I was waiting for the HTC mobile base for it. Got it fired up last night. This is the most serious woodworking tool I've ever owned. I don't care if I sound like a kid with a new bike, this thing is a bad, BAD boy.
Fit 'n finish was pretty good, especially for Griz. Really good. The only problem I had was the handwheels for the beds needed their keyways filed and sanded for the keys to fit. Otherwise it went together like clockwork. Everything was there, nothing was scratched or dented. They even provided a couple metric wrenches. The knives were set right, the tables were coplanar. The 90-degree stop for the fence was a couple degrees off.
I know the proof is in the using of it, but so far this thing looks like it's going to be a solid workhorse.
Oh, and one more note: Y'know how on those big mag switches, when you hit the stop button, it locks down and you can't turn the machine on till you release the stop button, and THEN the on button works? I didn't know that.