Grinder stones

It's probably time to replace the grey grinding stones that came with my power grinder. While I use traditional whet stones and diamond stones as well as the Scary Sharp method, there are times when a power grinder is needed. (Such as when hitting a hidden nail with a chisel.)

What are the best stones for woodworking tools? White, pink, or whatever?

Reply to
greatviewcsc

Generally speaking, but not always, each stone color represents different usages for the wheels.

Your needs will be best served by what you are going to grind. Nails, most chisels, screwdrivers, lawanmower blades, etc. will all be easily ground with gray alox wheels.

If you move to HSS, cobalts, or high molybdenum steels, then friables are better. Friable wheels will grind carbon steels well, but they don't hold up for really heavy use when doing so.

I have white friables on my slow speed grinder that I use for my lathe tools (mostly HSS and some sintered or "powdered" metals) that have lasted well. One side is 80 grit, the other is 120. I can reshape my turning tools, and do any thing that a good gray wheel can do with these wheels, but they need to be resurfaced frequently as the surface breaks off to provide a clean cutting surface. The friability feature also seems to make the cutting surface of the wheels cooler.

Purple and pinks... now you are getting into some money. To my knowledge they are all purpose made wheels, and they are made and priced accordingly. I got a great 40 grit pink Norton wheel that cut as smoothly as the 120 grit white. At $90 for the pink wheel (1" x

8" ), I was glad I got it as the last one on the closeout table.

If you are just generally goofing with your grinder, get a couple of good gray wheels and call it a day. If you are doing some sharpening, get at least a good set of whites. Strangely, you can get a slow speed grinder with good wheels on it at Woodcraft.

wood turner I know has this grinder. Once you start shopping for wheels, you will note this grinder with the wheels is cheaper than a set of wheels alone. I have two of them, and they both work great. One has been on the job for about 10 years now, and still works great.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news:9630bad0- snipped-for-privacy@h23g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

*snip*

and =) got turned in to their HTML equivalents and not turned back.

*snip*> Robert

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

on it. The wrench free wheel change sucks, but other then that, it does what I need.

I'll second the white wheel, good choice for HSS

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Try a softer wheel such as those made for a surface grinder, say "I" hardness and 60 grit.

Reply to
beecrofter

That's the one.

I got in the habit of using Tinyurl when those super long links would wrap and then not work. And since it folds right into Firefox as an add on, I have used it a lot over the last few years.

Tinyurl hits about 95% accuracy, and it is a dandy for long addresses. But trying it, the compressed link didn't work for me either.

Thanks for the fix.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

That's the one.

I got in the habit of using Tinyurl when those super long links would wrap and then not work. And since it folds right into Firefox as an add on, I have used it a lot over the last few years.

Tinyurl hits about 95% accuracy, and it is a dandy for long addresses. But trying it, the compressed link didn't work for me either.

Thanks for the fix.

*********************

How about the bracket approach?

It works for me. My wife likes to send long URL's to her friends all the time. I showed her the brackets and she has been happy ever since. Her URL's are going through and showing up with all the characters intact.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Tinyurl hits about 95% accuracy, and it is a dandy for long addresses. But trying it, the compressed link didn't work for me either.

-------

The trouble with tinyurl is you can't see where it points. It becomes a matter of blind faith and trust that it doesn't lead you to someplace you wouldn't otherwise go. Pasting the long link inside angle brackets, '', works for most newsreaders. Posting from Google groups might be different, however.

Reply to
MikeWhy

"MikeWhy" wrote in news:wRYRk.3402$8 snipped-for-privacy@flpi147.ffdc.sbc.com:

The solution is just to post the tiny URL link and the original. If the original wraps, the tinyurl is there to let you click on something. If the url might be suspicious or whatnot, the original's there to let the reader determine if they want to go at all.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I am not that concerned. If someone will blindly accept advice on woodworking projects that they will try on their own, then they can trust me with a link.

For that matter, any link can lead to a site that installs spyware, malware, etc.

It could go to the extreme: post the search keywords including the search engine (or meta engine) used, spell out the exact name of the website using the top menu address only with instructions on searching the individual site, and on and on.

I like the bracket idea. Simple, easy, clean. If someone has a problem with it though, they will suggest tinyurl or its sisters, so we will be back here on the discussions of how to handle long wraps.

I'm good with tinyurl as it is a right click away at any time from Firefox, and at a 95% or better success rate, it's a keeper. I will keep the bracket thing filed away for important stuff as that IS a pretty good tip.

But be realistic; for someone that participates regularly in this group it might be worth the extra effort to post all sources and your rabbit trail of how you got there. But most of the time, you never even know if the OP read any of the replies. Most throw the question out then vanish.

Not worth the extra keystrokes.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41