Sharpening Stones

Hi All,

Recent post didn't seem to stick! Anyway, I've been using traditional we t stones, and they work just fine, but a tad messy. And they have to be fl attened now and then. I have a pocket diamond stone I use for the pocket k nife, and misc. I see they also make 2 1/2 X 8 inch "stones" for planes an d chisels. Has anyone used these diamond stones, and how did it work. All comments will be appreciated!

Rich.....

Reply to
cwo4cno7325

All comments will be appreciated!

I did lots o' research and study and nearly took the plunge into the whole wet stone business so I could feel like a pro. However, ended up with a Wor k Sharp machine and now never have a dull chisel. Can do a 30 second quick touch up with no stones to manage and have also refurbished a badly chipped chisel with a slow bench grinder then work sharp.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Agree. I got a worksharp last Christmas and sharpened everything in sight. Maybe not quite as good as the best water stone but you'll use it a lot more often because it's less hassle. As Sonoma pointed out, you can use the Worksharp in less time that it takes to get the stones out and place the chisel in a sharpening jig. Consequently your chisels are, on average, sharper and in better shape.

Reply to
David

---------------------------------------------------- "David" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------- A question.

With it's low cost and excellent results, where does the ScarySharp system fit into your collective evaluations?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:04:37 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: . I have a pocket diamond stone I use for the pocket knife, and misc. I see they also make 2 1/2 X 8 inch "stones" for planes and chisels. Has anyone used these diamond stones, and how did it work. All comments will be appreciated!

They work great. I from time to time I use a DMT set for my sharpening needs, and always use a diamond rod to sharpen my pocket knives which I use as woodworking tools.

When I was turning a lot of wood I used to use the little EZE Lap paddles they sold at Woodcraft. They went from coarse to extra fine, and you could get a shaving edge on a chisel with a little practice.

They are great.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

No experience with scary sharp personally. I have heard it mentioned. I thought it was just a process using sand paper and a flat surface. Is there an actual product?

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

---------------------------------------------------- You just described it.

The "sandpaper" works better if you use wet/dry since you are working with metal.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah so the Work Sharp is just a product that uses the sand paper approach and provides a spinning platform and some angled guides to make it all easy.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Thanks for the input. I may have to give a diamond stone a try and see what happens. As was mentioned above, the smaller ones work well for pocket knives.

Rich.....

Reply to
cwo4cno7325