granite surface plate

The Woodcraft here in Palatine, IL is carrying a new granite surface plate. It's 2" x 9" x 12" and goes for $30. It's specified flat to 0.0001". I don't know if $30 is a good price since I've never priced one, but it seemed interesting. Just an FYI. I also see they have it on their web site.
todd
todd wrote:

Dunno if it's a good price either, and I don't know how hard it is to come by stuff flat to 0.0001"
I'm gearing up for Scarey Sharp, and I'm using a lot of chunks of what I think are granite counter backstop. Happens to be the right width for pre-cut 1/3 sheet sandpaper. It's as flat as my straight edge, however flat that is, and it was free. Dumpster behind a custom stone counter place. They throw away about four cubic feet of this stuff every day.
I'm heading that way tomorrow, to see if I can get enough chunks that I can have one dedicated chunk for each grit.
Want some? :)

plate.
seemed
Hi Todd, MSC Industrial offers the same size and tolerance for $23.99 plus shipping. http://www.mscindustrial.com / HTH, Ken

shipping.
Hopefully, they'll ship that big piece of granite for $6 or less, otherwise you'll be better off getting it at Woodcraft.
todd

shipping may be too much with MSC. so far grizzly has the best shipping rates on surface plates.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
i consult for a granite and marble place here in MI. i strongly suggest you walk into a local facility that does stone countertop fabrication and ask for a scrap before you pay for a piece of stone.
todd wrote:

I've thought of this. Is the flatness of counters comparable to reference plates?? wilson

plate.
seemed
Nowhere close. It may not matter though. Depends on what you are doing with it Are you using this as a measuring standard? If so, go with surface plate. Are you using this for sharpening? if so, go with the cheap stuff.

If you take two plates, spread some rubbing/polishing compound between them and slide one over the other, they'll polish out to flat (or spherical, one or the other). By working with successively finer compounds, you'll be able to get any degree of flatness and smoothness you want. Trade off cost vs work.
Mike

reference
them
one or the

get
Hmmm...$30 or hours of rubbing two stones together, plus polishing compounds of various "grit". I guess if you want to make a point that it can be done you could go this way.
todd
If you do this with two plates, you'll get spherical surfaces, guaranteed. If you do it with three, you'll eventually get three flat plates.
Brian
wrote:

reference
them
one or the

get
Pardon the newbie question, but what are the main uses/benefits of a granite reference plate?
The size of plate you are talking about in this thread seems too small to lap planes. All the scary sharp fans seem to go for a large piece of glass as backing for the sandpaper. I googled granite reference plates and see there are many sizes and "grades", but not much about the main uses a woodworker would make out of having one. Any feedback is appreciated. I have already learned LOTS by lurking on this NG for a few months. Regards, - Al

jcofmars wrote:

http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/intheshopiii/view.nhtml?profile=intheshopiii&UID 003
See the rest of this guy's shop if you haven't. Quite a layout!
-- Mark

http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/intheshopiii/view.nhtml?profile=intheshopiii&UID 003
Judging by the reflections on those surfaces they are just a couple of granite slabs - the type that you would use for a countertop. Not the type that is flat to the 1/1000". Still they are rather flat.
-Jack

Even better, judging by the thickness, or lack thereof, they are definitely *not* surface plates.
Those suckers are *thick*, like 3 or 4 inches for small surface plate.
Still, really nice pieces of granite, and a nice shop, to boot.
Regards, JT
I got a scrap granite piece about 12"X18" that gets used for scary sharp. Got it during our kitchen redo.

reference
them
one or the

get
you need 3 plates to make it flat. with only 2 plates you can make one match the other, but they won't be flat.
Charlie Spitzer wrote:

I'm getting the idea that $30 is a bargain.
todd
Ten years ago you would have paid over $100.00 for one. What do you think?

plate.
seemed