Grain Direction in a Bed Post

Ok, got another 'grain' question. I=92m in the process of making a bed from cherry and I am currently working on the posts.

Most of the posts look like they are qtr sawn. Ideally I would like the grain to be oriented diagonally, but this is what I am stuck with.

Question: Which face of the bed post should I orient to the front of the bed (facing the footboard)? The flatsawn face (B) or the straight grained face (A)? I know this question is a matter of personal taste, but what is most common?

Picture of posts (grain direction)

GarageWoodworks

I should clarify. These legs will not be turned.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

On 6/20/2009 2:16 PM GarageWoodworks spake thus:

Answer: whichever is prettier. Depends on the particular flitch. My preference would be for the quartersawn face, showing the growth rings perpendicularly, instead of the "wild", plywood-looking flatsawn face.

I don't know which orientation, if any, is more common, and am curious.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Well, I can't comment on your personal taste, or even what is most common, but you could use the Craftsman technique of cutting four triangular shaped pieces with the matching/agreeable grain on the hypotenuse side and glue the four pieces together with the hypotenuseseseeses showing. Then all the faces are the "good side".

Obviously more work, and there's some wasted wood, but hey, it's not my time or money. ;)

RicodJour

I vote as David.

Though you didn't ask about leaving them square, or say you'd leave them square: I would be tempted to knock the corners off the posts (octogon shaped), ....

***depending on the dimensions of the bed's side rail ends that would butt against the posts. A scrap piece of post, with corners cut off (for a comparative view and face measurement), would probably assist in the decision to cut or not. ***Another option is to leave square, only, the lower areas that the side rails butt against. ***I also assume you already have a view and measurements, of some kind.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny