Goooo

What is the best cleaner to remove Gooo; i.e. sticky stuff from tape, contact adhesives, old masking tape, etc.... ?? From both work pieces and hands ...

Thanks in advance ... and I promise not to "HOLD YOU TO IT" if you have the remover!

Reply to
Jeff Klein

I've had excellent results with Goo Gone.

Reply to
Mark

Good old WD-40 wooks great also.

Reply to
Don Vest

Same here. Goof Off works about the same. WD-40, paint (not lacquer) thinner or kerosene aren't bad either.

Dick

Reply to
Rico

I usually use a paper towel moistened with "odorless" (low-odor, really) mineral spirits, or if the area is small and I really want to minimize solvent odors, I use lighter fluid. I hate the smell of Goo-gone.

I follow with soap and water for my hands, if I get anything on them, but I try to wear disposable gloves when working with solvents or stuff that requires a solvent clean-up. I like the "nitrile" gloves from Harbor Freight most of the time, although they are not resistant to everything.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Reply to
Wood Butcher

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 15:27:13 GMT, "Jeff Klein" brought forth from the murky depths:

GoofOff, GooGone, Oops, WD-40, mineral spirits, salad oil all come to mind. All work to some degree on most adhesives.

Bad puns definitely will _not_ help your situation, sir.

========================================================== CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ==========================================================

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

For things, naptha (Zippo-style lighter fluid).

For hands, I try orange Gojo with pumice first. If that fails, certain kinds of sticky (eg pine sap) do well in Avon pink bubble bath (oh shut up). If that fails, I break out the big solvents and say a prayer for my liver.

Reply to
Silvan

before you do that, try citra-solv.

Reply to
nospam

One of the main ingredients in Goo-Gone is heptane, which is rubber cement thinner. I found it at an arts and crafts store, Michaels should have it, but I'm not positive about that. It evaporates even faster than acetone! But it seems to be better about not hazing plastics than mineral spirits is.

Reply to
Xane 'MegaWolf' T.