Good way to cut this curve?

Page 2 of 2
"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

Mike:
Lots of other folks have suggested good techniques for making and using a pattern so I won't repeat them, only echo them. I will however, suggest a better material than MDF. My opinion of MDF is rather low and I consider it to be good for nothing more than kindling material. It is not hard enough to stand up to typical knocks and bumps, does not really take screws or other fasteners in such a way as to be strong once screwed together, and it's really nasty about soaking up moisture. I consider MDF to be a curse upon the woodworking world. Having said that, for what you're doing a nice hardwood will not break the bank and you'll end up with a much nicer piece.
Just my two cents worth.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

never tried to burn it, have you?

Actually, now that you ask... no. I guess, given that it's nothing more than ant shit and glue, it probably wouldn't really burn all that well.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On 12/27/2004 1:27 PM Mike Marlow wrote:

Good points. While I'm waiting for the pattern bit to arrive from Rockler I can hunt wood. Nearby, no one sells much in the way of hardwoods. At HD there is a selection of maple or poplar*. Painted, would either of these woods fill the bill? Yah, there are less-expensive places than HD but not around me, near as I can tell (San Diego [California] coastal north county). I could range out farther if neither of these two woods are good-to-great choices.
*Which is more than my Lowes has -- if it ain't douglas fir or redwood, they ain't got it.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" writes:

First thinks first. as far as wood for a project is concerned, take your choice, both Lowes and Home Depot are in the garbage business.
If you can't find a decent supplier in San Diego, then you haven't gotten out from your computer, and looked around.
There are several.
If you can't find any, stop by Knight & Carver sometime and drool while you find out who they use for suppliers.
As a matter of info, Knight & Carver is a yacht builder who has been in San Diego for many years.
If you have to ask, like me, you can't afford, but they are still very nice folks.
HTH
Lew
On 12/27/2004 6:08 PM Lew Hodgett wrote:

All right, all right. Jeepers. Try to do something poorly, and everyone is on your case! ;-)
What would be a good wood for this job? It will be painted.
--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" writes:

Where I come from, another name for Poplar is "Paint wood".
Easy to machine, takes paint well.
Just don't leave it unprotected, as in no paint.
HTH
Lew
On 12/27/2004 6:40 PM Lew Hodgett wrote:

It does, it does -- thank you.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" writes:

A little tip.
After you have formed the pieces with your router, install an 1/8" or even a 1/4", rounding over bit and break the sharp edges.
Not only will it look good, but the paint won't have to try to protect a sharp corner, which it can't for long.
HTH
Lew
On 12/27/2004 7:42 PM Lew Hodgett wrote:

Gonna. Tnx.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Rocky, try looking at the regular old pine boards. Pick out a decent one, yes they can be found for something that small, and cut between the knots. Or Look on the other side of the aisle and pick you out a good looking #1 pine board. I've made some good looking smaller stuff out of them. From both HD and Lowe's I might add. It's not like your making furniture, YET!!!
"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

gotten
On 12/27/2004 6:56 PM Bullwinkle J. Moose wrote:

And a darn good thing, too. I measure twice and cut once. Still get it wrong. Sit in any chair I build ONLY after making sure your medical insurance is in order.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

consider it

enough
curse
nice
piece.
If you're set on painting it, then I'd go with the poplar. If you're not really decided on painting it and are considering a stained or oiled finish, then I'd go with the maple, or cherry or... if you really want to get lai.... ummmm,... impress the better half, then go with walnut and a nice oil rub. Any one of those alternatives will be much better than MDF.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On 12/27/2004 7:16 PM Mike Marlow wrote:

The painting fits the '20's look we're after for the bathroom.
There will be some stained and topcoated bits of "real wood" in the bathroom -- a shelf, the drawer fronts and cabinet door front on the vanity are some kind of white plastic. Gotta replace those with wood. I'll asking all kinds of pesky questions when I start that phase of the project. Have to transfer the Euro hinges from the old white door to the new wood door . . . and they have to line up and work! Makes my head spin just to think of it.