Good source for Wenge or alternative accent wood

Looks like my cheaper ebony alternative is no longer a nice affordable alternative, going for $18 to $21 a board foot. So far I do not know of yet another dark accent alternative... Walnut does not cut it. Having something shipped at the right price is an option, but it looks like these prices are across the board... (no pun) But maybe there is a seller out there still selling cheaper and someone here knows about it...
Thanks
dwolf wrote:

You probably need to "ebonize" your own wood. Although not a very rapid process, it can be very effective over a wide range of woods. Lots of information available on the internets.
e.g. http://www.woodworkweb.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id $&Itemid(
dwolf wrote:

I once had some Peruvian walnut (aka "nogal") that was very, very close to black. I don't know if that is true of all of it or not. It is also softer and coarser than walnut.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Have you tried EBay? There are usually a lot of varieties of wood available. Rich
I can respond to all three... Sometimes when doing inlay wood, or just wood butted up to another species it's not always possible to dye the wood
I am keeping an eye on E-bay... sometimes the magic works, sometimes is doesn't
And I have a couple of boards of the peruvian walnut... not dark enough... or at least the boards I have

Would blackwood be any cheaper?
Hmmm never actually heard of blackwood... I will google it..

IIRC it is used for musical instruments, the Flute? Lincoln a few years ago had a Blackwood option for their big SUV, IIRC the dash and door panels had Blackwood veneers. It may however be more expensive than Ebony, maybe not.
"Leon" wrote:

The true African black wood used to make clarinets is becoming very difficult to get.
Also, during the clarinet manufacturing process, there are high losses due to cracking.
The above courtesy of a PBS show I saw a few years ago.
Lew

has to be some what affordable in large quantities.
http://www.countyfloors.com/species_blackwood.html
Leon wrote:

My supplier carries African Blackwood in 8/4 thickness at $40.00/bd. ft.
http://www.advantagelumber.com/blackwood.htm
Wenge in 8/4 is $18.00/bd. ft.
http://www.advantagelumber.com/wenge.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
wrote in message

Yeah I am betting that it is not going to be the solution unless he can find it in 4/4 stock, that size "MIGHT" be more reasonable in price.