Good service from Lee Valley

Page 2 of 2
Well done. On the flip side of the recent Rockler clamp episode. I noticed at my local Rockler store that they had plenty of leftover P/C routers, Master Lifts, and clamping straight edges from the same sale that involved the clamps. I haven't seen a single poster showing any sympathy for Rockler having ordered too many of those items, only lame complaints from those who felt that they had some sort of right to buy as many Bessey clamps at less than cost as they could carry.
Funny how when a company tries to do right they get ignored, when somebody perceives them to have done wrong, they get pilloried. I wonder if some of the guys whining so much about the clamp deal will buy a couple of routers...but I sorta doubt it. Consumers today mainly want everything for nothing or as close to nothing as possible. We all complain about job losses and lower quality as we pull into the parking lots of the Borg's and Walmarts of the world. The advice, tips and general good will I've gotten at my local Rockler far surpasses the couple of bucks I could have saved buying 4 lousy clamps. Not to mention that the president of the company has publically stated that they'll make it right to all the whiners. I wonder how many of them will be here praising Rockler when that happens...your letter was the right thing to do.
John Emmons

<snip a wonderful post>

Good post Ian.
I have done extensive business writing. I used to interview various folks who were very sucessful in their respective businesses. I never fogot an interview I did once with a guy who operated several unrelated businesses. And they all did well.
He was busy writing notes when I arrived. He had me wait for a couple minutes while he finished up. I quickly determined that these were thank you notes. They were gold engraved and had his name, address and phone number on them. I asked about them.
He smiled and told me that this was a tradition he has practiced for many years. He said that the world is full of rude and boorish people. And there is too little praise. So he carries these thank you notes all the time. Some are stamped so he could mail them. And some were plain so he could hand them directly to people.
And he wrote them out for everybody he met who he thought deserved them. If he got good service at a restuarant, he wrote two notes. One to the waitress and one to the manager. He would even write a thank you note to the chef. He would often leave a store, write the thank you note and return to the store to deliver the notes.
This guy wrote a minimum or twenty notes a week and sometimes wrote as many as a hundred notes a week. He had kind words for everyone. A genuinely nice and appreciative guy. Nobody had anything bad to say about the guy and he had an excellent reputation.
Needless to say, he did well in business. With that kind of attitude, people would have died for this guy. In a world where courtesy and niceness are considered quaint vestiges of the past, this sort of thing is REALLY appreciated and noticed.
Sometimes a nice note can make somebody's day. Other times it can have a super ppsitive effect on somebody's life. We are remiss if we don't bless our fellow humans now and then with a well deserved thank you. It is appreciated by all.
Lee Michaels

Yabut the jerk made you wait while he wrote notes. ;)
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:39:19 GMT, "Lee Michaels"

... snip

Couldn't snip any more.
You know it's funny, we are all really busy with our lives, getting things done, just the general things of life. Yet, when something bad happens, we are readily willing to spend some of that time, put something else off and express our complaints. Which, by the way is not necessarily a bad thing, if people or businesses go through life oblivious to the pain and aggravation they are causing, they will continue happily on their way providing lousy service and wondering why nobody likes to deal with them. However, we don't seem nearly as ready to take time out or put something aside for the time to expend the same amount of energy when somebody does something really good (kind of that, "wow" kind of service). ... and that's a shame. I need to take a look at whether I'm praising people enough when they do something good.

This guy sounds like Robert Horchow of the Horchow Collection catalog. He was profiled in a fascinating book called "The Tipping Point" ((Amazon.com product link shortened)) by Malcolm Gladwell.
Ian
Ian Dodd wrote:

Do this with the spouse and kids too.
I haven't done it nearly enough and with my children 21 & 17 years old it is kinda "too late."
-- Mark
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:08:15 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

No it isn't. My dad actively tormented me growing up, but I still forgive him for it. That's a rough age, and they're not going to want to show that they care, but I'd be willing to bet good money that they do- and I'm not a betting man.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Shhh... you might wake up Boobert.
Mike