Good deal on 12 V drill at local megastore (USA)

Lowe's has the Bosch 12-Volt 3/8" cordless drill (PS31-2A) for $99 plus tax. I guess its nationwide.

I want one because it's no doubt much lighter and easier to control than my 14.4 V DeWalt compact drill. Should do for most drilling and screwing. I have two of their other 12 V products. They work well.

BTW... If you already have the batteries, extra batteries can be used to power a Dremel rotary tool, via wires. No need to chop up the rotary tool body, you just need a wire and a spare male battery plug (mine came from their flashlight). Sticking the battery in my pocket or setting it on the table makes for a light and nimble cutoff tool. And battery life is better than the stock Dremel batteries. And they use a real lithium-ion battery charger, unlike the cheap battery destroying charger that came with my old Dremel cutoff tool. I like it so far, after significant use. The rotary tool without the attached battery is easier to control.

Reply to
John Doe

What is the Bosch return policy, before you buy. For me personally over the past 24 years the only drill that had failed while I was using it was a Bosch. That has happened 3~4 times and once at a WW show.

I too own Bosch routers and an 18volt Bosch Impact driver. I won the Bosch impact driver and it is about 3 years old. I very seldom use it over my 7 year old Makita Impact driver.

You may very well be very happy with it but I probably would never buy one.

Reply to
Leon

Well that just sounds weird. The vast majority of Bosch tool users are satisfied.

Since it's from the local Lowe's, the first line of defense is simply returning it to the store. That's one reason it's a good deal.

Reply to
John Doe

Reply to
tiredofspam

"tiredofspam" wrote

A festooly?? Shouldn't that be spelled festoolee?? (My spell checker doesn't like either term) Sounds like some kind of serious disease. Is there a cure? Is it a condition that can be "managed"?

Perhaps some other terms could apply. Like...

Quality tool freak. Tool excellence syndrome. Tool one upmanship. Quality import tool connoisseur. Tool snob. Tooling aristocrat. Over the hill car guy losing his way. Festool cult member. Laguna cult member.

I am sure you guys can come up with a couple more.

Just thinking, what would a man hating shrink make of Leon's "tool disorder? LOL

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I think you are right... Festool cult member... they took him away and brainwashed him. I will buy Festool. I will buy Festool.... I will buy Festool.... I will buy Festool.... I will buy Festool....

Reply to
tiredofspam

I own several Bosch power tools. The 12 volt Lithium system has been flawless. Their jigsaw second to none and drills and sanders have been work horses. When a cpl of Bosch routers wore out, I replaced them with Milwaukee. I don't like Bosch routers. Festool is my brand of choice but not ALL their tools are head and shoulders above the rest. Some are. NO brand has all bases covered.

Reply to
Robatoy

I have some bosch routers, 1617evs, I like them, I have one issue, the quick release mechanism, I like the Milwaukee better.

I replace the motor cans on them, to Aluminum from Magnesium, I hated the oxidation that prevented it from moving well. It took years but Bosch finally owned up to the fact that the mag. was not working. They now move like silk.

What is is that you d>

Reply to
tiredofspam

Don't you worry about Leon. He knows he has the best and uses those tools to their potential. No mismatch there.

Reply to
Robatoy

I love mine.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

"tiredofspam" wrote

A festooly?? Shouldn't that be spelled festoolee?? (My spell checker doesn't like either term) Sounds like some kind of serious disease. Is there a cure? Is it a condition that can be "managed"?

Perhaps some other terms could apply. Like...

Quality tool freak. Tool excellence syndrome. Tool one upmanship. Quality import tool connoisseur. Tool snob. Tooling aristocrat. Over the hill car guy losing his way. Festool cult member. Laguna cult member.

I am sure you guys can come up with a couple more.

Just thinking, what would a man hating shrink make of Leon's "tool disorder? LOL ========================================================================== Everything has to have initials these days. HETS. High End Tool Syndrome.

Reply to
CW

One sample is hardly evidence of anything.

I own seven Bosch drivers (three 12V drivers, 12V & 18V impacts, and 12V and

18V drill). No problems at all. Love the things.

...on the basis of one failure.

Reply to
krw

"Lee Michaels" wrote in news:4f50fd5d$0$8386$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I vote for "tool snob".

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Not weird at all. No tool manufacturer is great at everything. The vast majority of Bosch tool users don't use Bosch drills.

As long as you are not stuck with your purchase should you not be pleased.

Reply to
Leon

LOL, No I was not a Bosch "drill" fan long before I knew Festool existed.

And as far as that goes, I still prefer my Milwaukee jig saw to the current Festool jig saw. :~)

Reply to
Leon

I like,,,

Number 1,2,4,,8, and 9. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Good save there Robatoy! Especially since I blame you personally for showing me the way several years ago with a link to the Domino in Europe. But then I showed Swingman the way and maybe Dave. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I have one of the very first 1617EVS routers, I got it in the summer of

1998. The magnesium body was not a problem for me at all however the motor housing oxidized immediately. I cleaned the motor housing up and put TopCote on it IIRC and it has never been a problem in the past 10 or so years. Was the motor housing magnesium too?
Reply to
Leon

On 3/2/2012 7:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Snip

Did you miss the part where I mentioned that I had them fail 3~4 times in addition to once at a WW show???

Good for you!

Reread what I actually said.

Reply to
Leon