GMC Tools at Lowe's??

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone have any expirence with the GMC tools from Lowes, I was thinking about buying a few, would like some comments first.
--
Thanks,
Gregg

low..low...low....low quality.....may fit some needs... if they do not use the tool very often....good luck Mike

Take a look here Greg. There is a review of several GMC tools.
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/toolreviewindex.htm
Gregg wrote:

The only GMC I know makes a lot of things, most of them vehicles, but not tools.
Is GMC the latest name in import garbage tools these days?
Lew

HD had Ridgid, Lowe's has GMC.

Well, Ridgid looks pretty decent while GMC looks a hair below Ryobi. But looks can be deceiving.

And -- HD has Ryobi, and Lowe's has Rexxon/Tradesman.
patrick conroy wrote:

Interesting thought, that. I was looking at a Ryobi belt/disc sander. The Ryobi design was different from all the rest in the class. Not the same animal as Delta/JET/Crapsman/Grizzly/HF at all. Then I noticed the same machine show up at Lowe's wearing Tradesman paint. Hrm.
(The Tradesman stuff is showing up at Sears now too. Most of it looks incredibly crappy.)

A'yup. And I'm sure they'll be incredibly successful in selling a ton of it..
patrick conroy wrote:

And by "incredibly crappy" let me just throw out, for example, that "incredibly crappy" means a benchtop jointer with a flimsy piece of thin, flexible red plastic for a guard. That stuff doesn't appear to be worth a second look. Or even a first look.
I think its more like HD had Ryobi, Lowe's has GMC.
Bob

thinking
It's really a case of you get what you pay for with GMC, although there are some items in their range that are better than others. They are pretty much for home/DIY use only. Don't expect them to hold up in a trade/industrial environment.
Unfortunately Lowe's seems to stock some of the older, poorer quality items in the range. Some of GMC's newer items are much better built, and a step up in quality.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 70 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Infinity Kitchen Making Router Bit Set - Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps - Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment - Ryobi Right Angle Drill - Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer - Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction ------------------------------------------------------------
I have a GMC circular saw and a dril press. Both were bought as throwaway tools. The circular saw is pretty big and heavy, I bought it for scoring concrete, didn't want to pay any more for a tool that was likely to be ruined first time out. In the end I worked out a different way to do the project and didn't need it.
Both are pretty good value. The drill press lacks power for large bits but it is a lot more convenient than using a jig and it is light enough to carry arround the house. My Jet floor model works a lot better but it cost almost ten times as much.

They have been sold in NZ and Aust for a few years now. They are reasonable quality, possibly Ryobi standard, a little better or worse, depending on the tool. They do come with a 2 year warranty, and a 30 day money-back no-questions right of return, which is a little unusual here. So, it never hurts to try one.
A friend has one of their jigsaws and swears by it, I have used it and it seems good, not quite in my Bosch's league, but then it's under half the price.
The only GMC tool I own is the RAD400 variable-speed corded right-angle drill, it's had a *lot* of use over the past year, and I cannot criticise it in any way. Usual PC disclaimers apply,I don't own GMC, etc, etc.
Barry Lennox

I have owned a GMC skillsaw for about six months. I have been satisfied with it.

Yeah? Where was it made?
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

What does "Where was it made?" have to do with "I have been satisfied with it."??????
Coth

Because I am curious. It could have been made in Australia or China or Germany or wherever. This kind of info is merely interesting to me, that is why I asked. K?
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Yup. If it makes any difference, I am happy with mine as well. Australia.

Yeah, anyone knows that the correct question to ask today is whether it was made by a Muslim Extremist between the ages of 17 and 35...