GMC scroll saw

I have a chance to by a 16" GMC (Global Machine Company) scroll saw for $40US. I'm just getting into woodworking (already have a nice Delta TS), is this going to be decent enough for basic work until I can afford a real one?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Reply to
Steve Hall

Steve:

Many, but not most, who buy very inexpensive scroll saws do not get to enjoy the hobby because of the poor machines they start off with. There are two very important characteristics of a scroll saw: low vibration and the blade moves only in up and down in single geometric plane. It is very important that the blade not have any left-to-right movement during the blade stroke.

Be sure the saw you are looking at takes 5 inch plain end blades. Also check the blade chucks are not warn or all bolts on the blade chucks have good threads. Is there a dust blower system (small air puffs to clear the area just ahead of the blade)? If so, does it work? Double check the effort of changing the blade. You will do this a lot. Blades are cheap and don't last long.

$40.00 is not much, as long as you know there could be problems because it is used(?), and a $500.00 machine will be WAY better...Well it is your money.

Just remember: scroll sawing is a skill, don't take long to learn, and it ain't hard to learn, but it is an eye-hand skill. There are no jigs or expensive fences to buy. Just breaking a lot of blades as you learn to move the wood past the blade following the line.

Phil

Reply to
Phil-in-MI

Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying the saw for $35, it is this one:

takes 5" pin end blades which are simple to change. It appears to be in decent shape, but the air blower hose is missing so I need to get a replacement. The laser is worthless (as I expected) and the table angle indicator needs adjusting.

But I've already used it to make some push sticks, and it will be adequate for the basics as long as I go slowly. We can always upgrade later, right? :)

Reply to
Steve Hall