Giving up for today

Did you ever have one of those days in the shop where everything went wrong? So far today, I've accomplished the following, in chronological order. By the way, all I'm trying to do is make some steenkin' face frames for some shop cabinets.

  1. Cut the dado for the rails in the wrong location.
  2. Made new rails.
  3. Drilled pocket holes in each rail
  4. Realized that I forgot to cut the new rails to their final length before drilling the pocket holes.
  5. Cut each rail to its final length
  6. Drilled new pocket holes on the cut end.
  7. Realized that the depth stop on the pocket hole drill bit was set for too deep a cut on the 3/4" stock I'm using.
  8. Came inside to sit down before I make a mistake that can't be fixed.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Step 9, repeat 8 as necessary. Heck yeah I've had days like that. I've learned to spot the signs and give it up before blood or fire.

Reply to
scott_tuttle

So I'm not the only one...whew, I feel better now, thanks!

Reply to
HomeBrewer

What was referred to in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" as "gumption traps".

Time to walk away, have a cold beverage, and leave it alone.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Happens to everyone ... you did the right thing.

Reply to
Swingman

Step 8 shows good judgement.

I have way too many days in which step 8 is required to keep my feeble grasp on my version of sanity.

Mike

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Too many times! I call those days "cutting firewood for the chimenea" days.

What's funny is that today, I had just the opposite experience as you. I literally did EVERYTHING perfectly today. I can't believe it!

I'm now afraid to leave the house, as I figure I'll get hit by a train.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Yup...those are the days that I'm afraid to go to the bathroom. When everything I touch seems to break, why take the chance on breaking THAT? SWMBO would NOT be amused...nor would I.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

When that happens to me I wonder what is on my mind distracting me. But I soon realize that nothing was on my mind, that is part of my problem.

9) Cold bev, feet up, TV on. woodworking? where? who? me?

Rich

Reply to
Rich