Gifkins Dovetail Jig

Does anybody have any experience with this dovetail jig? It is designed to cut dovetails on a router table rather than holding the router yourself. The idea seems intriguing but I am wondering if it is as good as it sounds.

Gifkins Dovetail Jig site:

busbus

It looks like an Aussie version of the Katie Jig that's available here in the USA, but it appears to be made only for smaller dovetails. I see on this website that the Japan Woodworker is now importing this one into the states, so we may begin to see them here soon, but the USA pricing page is missing from their website, so how it compares by price remains unknown. The Katie Jig runs about $250 and several sizes and styles are available.

The Katie jig uses router bits with guide bearings on them to follow the jig and it's used on a router table just like this one. From the picture it's not clear to me if this one also uses bearings on the bits for guides. The Katie Jig is very easy to use and has very few adjustments, so it's easy for users to get good useable dovetails every time with it. With the router in a table and the cutting point in clear view it's also quite easy to see what's happening during the cut and I like that capability too. To change pin and tail sizes you have to buy another finger plate, and you are locked into the fixed pin width and spacing of the plate, but this lack of adjustability and complexity is probably what makes most woodworkers (including me) like it so much.

Reply to
Charley