garage door

Page 2 of 2

Hi Michael,
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet (sorry, I'm too lazy right now to got through this whole thread), but there is a decent site detailing making such a door. Here's a link:
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/gar-dr-1.htm
Hope that gives you some ideas, H
I have just posted 5 pics in abpw separately.

Michael Ashby wrote:

I hate to dampen your enthusasm.. but this seems a bit dangerous to do with standard 2X4s.. they will warp over time.. If they bow, there's potential that the width of the door gets smaller, and perhaps that's enough cause the door to fall or get stuck..
How are you going to install this? I forget the terminology, but are you going to use one big coil spring or are you going to use two side springs? Either way has safety issues, so please read up and/or get professional help.

Very doubtful that it would fall from shrinkage. Wood just doesn't shrink that much, especially along its length. The rollers have enough slop along the axile to accommodate any movement in this direction.

The single coil over the door opening doesn't really have any safety issues beyond some common sense when winding them up or loosening them. The springs that run back along each side are a pain and they are more prone to breaking over time, but a decent safety cable strung up through them negates any real safety issues.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net