Freedom Pens Project Turn-a-thon in Cincinnati

Here is some information about a Freedom Pens Project Turn-a-thon that is being held in Cincinnati this weekend. If you live in the region I hope that you can stop by. Thanks.

-John Albachten

Saturday May 1, 2004

10:00 am to 3:00 pm

Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

421 East Kemper Road

Cincinnati, OH 45246

513-671-7711

The Cincinnati Rockler Store is hosting a pen turning extravaganza on Saturday, May 1st to turn pens to contribute to the Freedom Pens Project; this event is co-sponsored with the Ohio Valley Woodturners Guild and the Cincinnati Woodworking Club. The Freedom Pens Project is an all-volunteer effort spearheaded by the members of the SawMill Creek Woodworkers Forums to provide custom hand crafted pens to American servicemen and women overseas. Our goal is turn as many pens for the Freedom Pens campaign as possible in one day and to bring even more awareness to this great cause and further show support for our troops!

There will be several lathes set up and Rockler is donating the pen kits and wood that will be used to send to our troops. In addition all pen kits and other turning accessories will be on sale for 15% off all day. If you have turned pens that you would like to donate we will gladly put them with the ones made that day and send your name along with the names of all the other contributors to the Freedom Pens Project.

Everyone is welcome - this will be a great opportunity to try your hand at turning a pen if you never have or to help teach others how if you are an old hand at pen turning.

Reservations are not required but access to the lathes will be on a first come basis. We also are looking for a few more lathes and turning tools as well as volunteer leaders to help make sure everything runs smoothly the day of the event. If you are willing to help please email John Albachten at snipped-for-privacy@agoodturn.com or call Rockler at 513-671-7711. He will get back with you to finalize details.

For more information about the groups involved here are their websites:

Freedom Pens Project:

Cincinnati:
Valley Woodturners Guild:
Woodworking Club: