Framing nail recommendations

I just ordered a Paslode cordless framing nailer. Now I'm looking at all the choices there are for nails . . .

A friend has the same nailer, and says he uses the 2-3/8 ring nails for just about everything. I'm looking to do fairly general stuff in the short term (shelves, etc.), and build a garage next spring.

I will probably be using mostly rough cut hemlock 2x's & pine 1x's, so I expect I'll need some of the longer 3-1/4 nails for framing. I'd love to get a selection, but can't seem to find nails in smaller quantities, and don't want to buy large quantities of nails I may not use.

What do people seem to find the most versatile for size & finish, and should I stick with the Paslode, or are the Grip-Rite and other brands OK to use?

Thanx Don

Reply to
Don97623

Power nailers are typically used for projects requiring many nails. Boxes of 2,000 are typically the smallest ones. Boxes of 4,000-5,000 are typical of framing nails. If you want variety, get a framing hammer and several 1# boxes of nails. For framing, 3" bright nails are typically used. Since they are countersunk, that will completely join 2x material without a sharp point protruding on the other side.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

I get most nails at Lowes/HD, third party brands when possible, but have mail ordered some and bought some at the contractor stores. Never bought less than the boxes for $30-40. I'm not sure I've ever seen fewer.

Ring nails are far more resistant to pulling and I use them most everywhere, just a few bucks extra. 2 3/8 is good, but 2" is fine for sheathing and gussets made of thin ply. You can do siding, if you can control the drive depth accurately. My Bostitch does not do a good job on depth control...gotta look at it.

For roughcut, you need all the nail and holding you can get. 3 1/4" barely does it in my opinion. I overdrive, to sink them and get a little more penetration. I built my house from full 2X framing...used several cases!

Reply to
Wilson

Reply to
Dave jackson

Don, See

tool takes 30 degree paper collated clipped-head nails. There are some recommendations as well:

- Not recommended for 3" or 3-1/4" nails in pressure-treated lumber.

- Not recommended above 5000 feet elevation or below 20 degrees F.

- The nailer must be dis-assembled and cleaned periodically depend>I just ordered a Paslode cordless framing nailer. Now I'm looking at all the

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Lucky me! Today on my way to HD to price out the nails, I just happened to swing into a yard sale, at which I found a full box (5000) plus a partial of 2-3/8 ring nails, and about half a box of 3-1/4 bright. All for $30 - less than half what I would have paid at the store, I think. They're Senco brand, but labelled to fit the Paslode IMCT - will just half to break the sticks in half, as these are 60 to a strip, and the Paslode supposedly takes 44 max. Just checked - the gun supposedly shipped from Fry's on Thursday, so hopefully I'll have it to use this week! New toys are so much fun!

Don

From: "Dave jackson"

Reply to
Don97623