Forstner bit set advice

I need to drill a 1-1/4" hole for some dowel to make a vertical lumber rack and was going down the block to HD to pick up this "High Carbon" set:
Porter-Cable, 16pc. ($45 + tax) http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id0390830
I've compared them with these:
Rocker, 16pc. ($60 + free shipping) http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID 954
Woodcraft, 16pc. ($40 + tax) http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyidw4
(Lee Valley doesn't sell a set with the 1-1/4")
Anyone here have experience with the P-C? I'd like to do better than a cheap HF set, but would rather not spend $22 on a single high end bit either.

Steve Hall wrote:

All other things being equal I would opt for some with hexagonal shafts, especially for larger bits. They can be sharpened, so unless you use them a lot type of steel doesn't seem to matter a lot.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 21:34:43 GMT, Steve Hall

If it's just for a lumber rack why do you need a forstner? A spade bit will do it, or a hole saw.
-Leuf
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 16:55:00 -0500, Leuf wrote:

Good point. Truth is, I'm getting ready to start several projects that will require Forstners, this project just gives me the excuse to get them now.

Have a look at this
http://www.grizzly.com/products/H7694
Not a bad deal but if you aren't going to use them much then it is pricey.
Allen

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id0390830
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 20:25:14 -0500, Allen Roy wrote:

$60 including shipping for 32 forstner bits is a fantastic deal if they are any good, thanks for the pointer.

I purchased the PC set from HD last year. They work fine, at least for my occasional use.

The PC set is $39.99 at Amazon and shipping is free: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 21:34:43 GMT, Steve Hall

I bought a set on eBay several years ago. They have been all I could want. I thnk I paid $15 plus about $10 shipping.
Here is an example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/16-PIECES-TITANIUM-COATED-FORSTNER-DRILL-BIT-BITS_W0QQitemZ160087622489QQihZ006QQcategoryZ50386QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD4VQQcmdZViewItem
Steve Hall wrote:

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 21:34:43 GMT, Steve Hall
Then buy a 1 1/2" drill. If you're actually planning to use it, then get one that works.
These sets are of laughably bad quality. You _might_ get one to work if you spend some time with a diamond hone first. Otherwise many of them are good as firelighters, but not as drills. "High carbon steel" as a selling point ?!

Yes, but the sets come in a nice case. The one I bought was usable, but I've replaced the commonly used sizes with quality bits. The less used sizes do work for one or two holes and are there when the situation arises. And I have a nice little wood box to keep them in.
I have the PC set you mention, however my price was 39.00 at Amazon.com. My work is mostly in oak and I've seen no difference in the cut quality of the larger bits in the 2 years (and 100s of holes) that I've been using them. Gene

Steve Hall wrote: > I need to drill a 1-1/4" hole for some dowel to make a vertical lumber > rack and was going down the block to HD to pick up this "High Carbon" > set:
Forget the garbage forstner bit sets.
Think Hole Saw.
Lew