Forged Craigslist scam checks

Page 3 of 6

AFAIK You buy the blank checks, and use a special cartridge that is magnetic for the account number. I'm not sure if a laser printer will work.
Maxwell Lol wrote:

It will.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Maxwell Lol wrote:

Banks and clearing house no longer rely on magnetic ink - it's now all optical.
Some merchants, however, still have magnetic ink scanners and won't accept a non-magnetic check (i.e., Sam's Club).
HeyBub wrote:

Do you have a source for this?

I've never had a merchant use any kind of scanner on a check that I presented at the counter.
J. Clarke wrote:

Sorry, no. That's what my banker told me.

Hmm. Then you don't deal with retail establishments that a) process a huge volume of checks or b) have dodgy customers. Stores that subscribe to TeleCheck (and similar) that guarantee the check for a small fee have to have some fast and easy way to communicate the check's information. These firms use check scanners.
Recently I wrote a (large) check to a physician. The Telecheck check-reader thing-a-majiggy went "TILT" and I thought the help behind the desk was going to fidget to death!
The problem was a miss-read.
Feeding the check through the machine again yielded a green light and they quit beating me.
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 05:45:33 -0400, "J. Clarke"

You've never had them scan a check then hand it back to you? Checks are often converted to EFTs now (have been for *years*). Some simply destroy the check (perhaps so you don't get upset) while others will hand it back for you to destroy. The wonders of modern banking. :-(
krw wrote:
... snip

Yeah, that is really frustrating. I have been saved numerous times in the past having a cancelled check in my possession to show payment. One of the reasons I kept my bank account in Texas when I moved to Tucson was because cancelled checks were returned to me. Now, I very seldom get a cancelled check -- most of the checks are scanned and destroyed by the receiver.
If I'd have wanted electronic fund transfer, I'd have set up electronic fund transfer.

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 00:58:35 -0500, the renowned Ignoramus14774

I'd be interested in seeing a really high quality scan of it (black out any info you don't want made public, of course).
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

OK, I will scan it. This is a "check" that is made to look like a Wells Fargo check. I have another Wells Fargo check from a customer, and they look somewhat different, on the real one thereis a logo of WFC, for example.
(I own 1000 shares of Wells Fargo also)
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 08:27:37 -0400, Spehro Pefhany

It is always possible that the check is genuine in the sense that it is a stolen genuine check or a genuine check for an account created for the scam w/ ISF.

DO NOT DEPOSIT IT!!!!
The offender can get your bank account number.
Your post sounds EXACTLY like what happened to me last year. I called the company that supposedly issued the check and spoke to their security guy. He was VERY interested. It turned out that this particular scammer had chosen the wrong company to pretend to be.
Last I heard the FBI was tracking him down.
Did the check come via UPS / FedEx / DHL? If so, they cannot do anything. Only the US postal service can deal with interstate fraud like this.
Good Luck Brad
Brad Bruce wrote:

Yeah, sure. Suggest they focus on Accra, Ghana.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I don't see how, as the account # on the check is faked. In fact, they don't care about the check. They just care about the money you are goin g to wire them.

Ask for ceritfied checks. that should stop the problem

Nope, they have been forged also.

One Item worth about $1200 new on Craig's list for $300 or best offer, E mail from buyer wanting item, offered to send check for item and shipping costs to be paid to his shipper, since he was out of town. Check arrives by UPS for $3900 and has instructions to sent $2000 to shipper $500 to me and rest to him by my check all to PO boxes. I called the bank the check was written on and they confirmed it was a stolen, not forged cashier's check, that had the amount, siginature etc forged on it. Contacted Police, FBI etc and they were uninterested. Recieved another check for another item on Crair's list same routine except this was written on a company not a caisher's check. Called bank and it was a stolen check, called company and they got exicited and asked for the check which I sent them. My local bank will not cash a cashier's check, they hold the check until they get the money in hand before they give you a dime of it, to many people getting burned according to the manager I talked to. Of the three checks I got all three were stolen checks, all three were for $3900, all were sent UPS at a cost of $35 shipping, all paid UPS with stolen credit cards. Two were e-mail transactions and one was just sent to me and I never did know what for.

Oh, so the check may be stolen, that would explain it.

It's very common for criminals to get their hands on checks with valid signatures, bleach out the "pay to" and "amount" sections and write in other names and amounts.
Newer check producing technology combats this.
--

-MIKE-

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 11:22:27 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

While that is true in theory, it doesn't work out in practice, bank clearing procedures are going digital, the front and back of the check is scanned, then the check is destroyed. Just a digital image is being transferred between financial institutions.
--
Froz...

FrozenNorth wrote:

Hmmm, it's worked for years in practice. Visit any prison to ask how it's done.

That would fall under the newer technology I mentioned that combats it.
--

-MIKE-