Craigslist worked, for me

I'm writing to say nice things about Craigslist.

A couple days ago, I got a newer refrigerator. I did my best to give the old one away for free, to anyone from my church who needed a refrigerator. No interest.

So, I listed it on Craigslist, for $25. About four hours later I had one email. I called the person, who came over and paid me cash. He and a friend loaded it on his truck, barely gave me a chance to help out. Explained that his fridge wasn't cooling, and he needed one to get him by for a while.

Craigslist worked, for me. I promptly deleted the ad.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We ourselves have never used Craig's List, but our niece is an old hand, so we had her list an item for us. The only response she received had all the marks of being a scam, once I read all the caveats on the CL Web site. Reading their advice on fraud prevention is quite instructive.

My short version is: Craig's List is fine for local transactions where the prospective purchaser can examine the item and where payment is made in cash -- even cashier's checks can be forged, I understand.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote

And for large heavy items that selling and shipping on ebay or such would be prohibitive. I have bought and gotten rid of things on craigslist that I thought I would have to haul to the dump. And found some pretty hard to find stuff.

I imagine that fellow was really happy with his temporary $25 solution to his spoiling food predicament. I advertised for free dead fridges/freezers to brew beer in, and got a nice freezer for free that was fully functional, just needed a new cord.

We have a local AM radio thing that is a hoot. It is called "TRADIO". KSUB, Cedar City, Utah. 9-10AM every weekday. No commercials or business advertisements. Guns allowed. Animals allowed. Not too many prohibited things. It is live with a 7 second delay so they can beep something if they have to. I have finished my ad, and within 15 seconds, the phone rings, and I sell the article. Local stuff, they pick it up. Found thousands of dollars of new steel used in metal buildings, paid $400.

Yes, I have had scammers hit on me on craigslist. So, I don't bother to answer any of those that want me to take it off, hold it, have another person pick it up and give me a MO, that sort of stuff. Just bring cash, and a leash, and drag this dog off, and we'll both be happy.

Steve

snipped-for-privacy@groups.facebook.com buy the book on ebay, search heart surgery survival guide

soon available on website

Reply to
Steve B

I like it, because most of the time, I can go and SEE the item.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Well I am glad you promptly deleted your add. A great majority of people never delete them when items are sold or event dates have past.

Roanin

I've dumped a lot of stuff I just wanted to get rid of on Craigslist. The trick is weeding out the phone/texting idiots and sticking to email communication.

I figure if someone can read/write and carry on a written communication they should be halfway decent, and usually that is the case. The funny part is when giving something away for free; only about half of those people ever show up, so I just give free stuff to St. Vinnie's now.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

survivalguide.com

re: "And for large heavy items that selling and shipping on ebay or such would be prohibitive. "

A few years back, I wanted to purchase a 10' aluminum step ladder.

On a lark, I decided to check eBay even though I knew that the shipping costs would outweigh any cost savings I might find.

I came across an essentially brand new Werner type 1A 10' step ladder for $60. It was listed as "pick up only" in a town about 20 minutes from my Mom's house in Massachusetts, which is about 350 miles from my house.

It was late November and we were going to Mom's house for Christmas so I emailed the seller and told him I'd pay for it right away if he'd hold it until Christmas week.

"It's just hanging on my garage wall, so sure...pay me and it's yours.

I guess he could have ripped me off, but I trusted the guy, paid him and during Christmas week I picked it up, strapped it to the top of my van and have been enjoying it ever since.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I sold 2 grave plots I discovered my Mom owned on C'sL after she died. Before I actually sold them, for real, I had fun playing with some idiot from NY that wanted to send his movers over to pick them up after the "check" he sent me arrived.

Reply to
tom

I'm thinking of haul a lot of my usable clutter to ABVI Goodwill. They can sell the stuff in time for Christmas, and have the money they make.

I'm always suspicious of people who want to immediately change the format "look at my web site, and email me from there" gets deleted.

The scam Clark Howard's caller mentioned. Distatnt buyer. Paying by bank check which was "accidentally" over the sale price. Buyer requests seller to deposit the check, send the cash back, and keep a c'note for the buyer's trouble.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Score! You and the seller are obviously honorable men.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Everybody knows that grave plots can only be moved by pros. Too deep for most ordinary joes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Didn't work out so well for these people.

Curt

I've needed a ladder at times too but I'd never say I enjoyed it...

Reply to
Larry W

Oh, Gawd. Pardon the blasphemy. Now if we could only achieve the same level of consciousness among top posters. A top poster who condones the immediate retraction of items sold on craigslist.

Ah, we can always dream, can we not?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Robert Green" wrote

Shit happens. You can't explain serial killers, or serial top posters who just have to do what they do. No matter what.

They're compound stupid. They don't know that they don't know.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

That's a shame. People looking for work. But similar has happened in regular newspaper want ads. "MODEL WANTED - bring overnight bag." And hookers are always in danger.

Don't know if others here had things like "Trading Times" which was a thick bi-weekly publication around here. Free to take from where anybody gave them space to stack them up. Ad takers paid a fee for the ad. No hooker or "personal" stuff, just selling hard goods and some "wanted to buy." I don't know if that's still around. Only time I used it I drove way too far to look at a cap for my pick up. The damn thing was home-made, badly built, in the weeds, falling apart and going rotten. Don't know why that asshole though anybody would pay him for that. Yeah, he wanted money for that.

I've browsed Craigslist for tools. Looks like you can find some deals. If I wanted a table saw I'd look there first.

A couple years ago I got on my kid to get 6 tires/rims out of my garage. He put them on Craigslist for $700. About a week later I get a company check for about $2800 made out to him. I googled the company and called them about it. Get to a guy in accounting and he tells me somebody got into their system and stole some checks. They've been killed, just tear it up. In the meantime my kid is getting emails and a letter containing 3 addressed and stamped envelopes. He's supposed to cash the $2800 check, keep $700, and send various amounts of what's left in the 3 envelopes. Somebody will arrange to pick up the tires later. He took all that garbage to the post office and filled out a fraud form. Never heard a thing about in 2 years. He never looked at Craigslist again. The damn tires are still in my garage.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Buying is a hell of a lot easier than selling. I need them to call me. I need exact times and gps info, and I already got their call back number. I'm not leaving without communication.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I find most items come in so fast or are reposts, and you usually don't look past 2 or 3 days old, so chances are it's recent. Had pretty good luck getting there first.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I have been buying some stuff for others. Lots of stuff on craigs list these days. Got a one year old fridge for $125 excellent buy. Not the biggest, but close to normal size. Air conditioner, dryer, stove, bedroom set, all for under $500 .

Greg

Reply to
gregz

So, arrange to meet the other party in the parking lot of a police station. Or carry a gun.

Why do I have to think of everything?

Reply to
HeyBub