Plans for making a regular sized ironing board

I've always been unhappy with ironing boards (all jokes aside about the wife needing to be the one to do that work).

Looking for a new one, I find the $40 cheapies on Amazon & the $100 ones all seem to have bad reviews for stability.

The board part looks pretty simple (all I would need are the dimensions which I should be able to find on the net).

But, what would you recommend for the legs?

Do you know of any plans on the net for full-sized ironing boards?

Reply to
worker bee

worker bee wrote in news:jc8s4c$77k$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

Look for a sturdy wall, and attatch the board to it, without using any legs.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Good idea, but bad idea for me.

I already have one of those built-in quarter-sized ironing boards which flip out from the wall in the laundry room.

They stink.

The problem is that you really need BOTH ends to iron a man's shirt and pants. Without the squarish end, you have to do twice as much work.

I don't need legs that fold - but I do need it to be sturdy. I'm thinking a solid chunk of four by four or something like that (it doesn't have to be pretty).

It would be nice to have plans though ...

Reply to
worker bee

I've never seen it done the 'right' way; but what I would do, if I attached a full-sized ironing board to the wall would be to design the center attachment so that you can SWIVEL the ironing board so that BOTH ends were functional.

I've NEVER seen anyone attach an ironing board to a wall so that both ends were usable.

Does anyone have an idea for a ready-made swivel to attach to the underside center of the board if I do attach it to a wall?

Reply to
worker bee

Tons of plans out there. Even free ones. Just paste all this garbage as one line into your browser:

dennisgauge

I think your desire for more sturdiness is due to improper technique, an iron doesn't weigh that much, and you should be letting the tool do the work.

I'm not saying ironing boards are perfect, but they haven't changed much.

Maybe an antique wooden model might suffice, or as a basis for alteration...

They used to use those with those old cast iron heat-on-the-wood-stove irons. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Googling, I didn't find any plans for a swivel type wall-mounted ironing board.

There are plans for the cabinet and board, eg.

But no plans for the swivel part.

Can I be the first person to think of this idea of being able to use both ends of the ironing board?

Reply to
worker bee

Googling, I didn't find any plans for a swivel type wall-mounted ironing board.

There are plans for the cabinet and board, eg.

But no plans for the swivel part.

Can I be the first person to think of this idea of being able to use both ends of the ironing board?

Reply to
worker bee

I had a similar problem earlier in the year, which I solved by checking the inventory in the local second-hand shops. I ended up with an old "made in USA" ironing board, Arvin brand, made from steel thicker than the sheetmetal on my car. Picked up a nice new cover for it, and I'm in business.

They don't make 'em like they used to, so find one that they used to make.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken