Bit OT - ironing boards

I hate ironing but need to do some trousers. I've 2 irons (somewhere) but no board. Now, plenty on various sites but they all look flimsy and get poor reviews re. durability and ricketiness. Almos all have the single legs and T-feet.

Anybody know of a good solid type please?

I know, it's DIY here but I don't have the material and there's a limit to what the bus driver will accept!

Reply to
PeterC

My mother used to have a solid wooden one.

I reckon that should be the next thing John Rumm puts us to shame with. I feel even more inadequate now I know how old he is.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's quite possible to do ironng on an old blanket on the kitchen table.

At least that's what many used to do in the old days when the iron ran off a light socket which was directly above the table.

With trousers that means having to iron both sides at the same time of course but people seemed to manage.

Anyway the creases won't show when standing in the dock in any case.

michael adams

michael adams

German ones (Brabantia) used to be not bad. If I were specifically after a sturdy one (I agree, most of the modern ones are rubbish) I'd probably look for an old s/h one.

Modern ones tend to have the top made with a mesh construction, which I *think* is a good idea - it lets the stem go through the clothes.

My pet beef is that you can never get a cover whose shape properly matches the shape of your board, and that the drawstrings never properly keep it on. If I were a bachelor again I'd fix this...

Reply to
jkn

Replace drawstrings with elastic.

But speaking as a bachelor, I have a Corby trouser press. :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

+1. Or any bit of cloth. Or 3mm hardboard. Even cardboard if you must. Give this, an ironing board is surely not useful for the occasional ironer.

You can also get old trouser irons & trouser presses.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

First thing I sold when I retired

Reply to
Robin

Still use mine - saves putting my trousers in the wardrobe - they get dusty though.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I suppose the table might do. It's a bit low for me (the old board, that almost fell to pieces, could be set quite high). I like a make of lightweight trousers for walking in coolish weather - cheap and plenty of pockets - but, for some unknown reason, they're pressed with the creases almost on the side seams!* This means that they catch on the shoes and get muddy. I want to wash them then iron out the original crease.

*Could be on the sides cos they're made in China.
Reply to
PeterC

Any old table will do, but what about a trouser press. There must be millions of these checked out by hotels! :-) Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Indeed; its all down to fashion.

King George V famously wore trousers with creases at the sides. ISTR reading (but not from the link below) that in his case it was a naval thing as he'd served in the navy; and that at some point this was a fashion among naval officers.

In addition crooked creases are less obvious at the sides and so are more convenient to iron when in a hurry. Or under less than ideal conditions. As when being churned out by the thousand in a factory maybe.

michael adams

michael adams

I bought one in Wilko many years ago that has always been fine for occasional use. This one looks very similar to the one I have:

of the things I like about mine is the variable height - I'm not sure if the one in the link does that, although judging by one of the reviews on that page it does adjust.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Ouch! 40 quid! Still, looks pretty good, thanks. I looked elswhere and only Homebase was cheaper - £35 - with Amazon and ebay going at silly prices. Might just get it.

Reply to
PeterC

I still have the one I bought in a junk shop 30 years ago.

Where the iron stands has a piece of greyish fibrous board that looks like Fermacell, but is probably asbestos :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Which Premier Inn did you nick that from ? :-)

Reply to
Andrew

My old one had asbestos for the iron. It went sort of fluffy and started to fall apart. cough cough.

Reply to
PeterC

An occasional reader asks:

Why? How old is he?

Reply to
Steve

Younger than me.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ours was something we bought when we were first married.

It's variable height - but doesn't go high enough for SWMBO who is 5'4.

(Yes, she does most of the ironing - doesn't like the way I do it!)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Thanks for clearing that up.