ironing a hat

If this is OT I apologize, and maybe someone could tell me a better group. I couldn't find good search terms so I couldn't find anthing on the web.

I have two felt hats, sort of like Indiana Jones wears. One I bought new at an army-navy store, to wear in the rain, but I liked it so much, I didnt' want to get it wet, and the other I bought verry cheaply at a rummage sale. I wear it whenever it rains.

Partly because of rain and partly because I didn't take care to place them away from other things, the brims have gotten wavy, in some places in an unattractive way, little wrinkles followed by big wrinkles, etc.

A: Does this make me look sloppy, tough, or intimidating? :)

B: How would you get rid of the wrinkles in the brim?

1) I could use a steam iron. 2) I could dampen it with hot water and press between rolled towels or something?? like that. How hot should the water be? How wet should I get it?

Do I have to worry about the up-curl near the edge, or will that reappear automatically.

Thanks

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Reply to
mm

A google search on felt hat care turned up some information. One company offered an expensive steaming processing.

When we wore hats with veils, about a thousand years ago, when they got tacky looking, we ironed them on a piece of wax paper. I don't even know if that product is sold any more. The melted wax was enough to give a starch effect to the veil.

Steam ironing and carefully supporting it for drying might take some of the waves out of the brim.

Joan

Reply to
jes

I use a rubber stopper with a brass tube. The device is sold for the purpose. You put it in the spout of a tea kettle and boil the water. When you hold part of the hat in the jet of steam, it will be easy to shape. In a few minutes it will stiffen.

Until next time, Marcey

Reply to
Marcia Pease