Forged Craigslist scam checks

Page 1 of 6
I am holding in my hands a forged check that a Craigslist scammer mailed me. This guy has been spamming me incessantly about all sorts of stuff that I listed. He did not even remember that I always would rudely decline his offers to send me extra money and have me wire money to "his shipper".
So finally I caved in and in response to one posting, he contacted me and mailed me a check.
I have no doubt that it is forged, however, what I really am curious about is whether maybe I should talk to some authorities, like police for example. Have those crooks perfected a police-proof method of receiving stolen money? Or you think no one will care?
My curiosity was also piqued by the fact that the check indeed had microprinting and a watermark.
Ignoramus14774 wrote:

Deposit it in your bank and wait for it to clear. That's the real test.
If it clears? Maybe you should ship something to him?

It will not clear, or worse, it will clear and then the "issuer" bank will come for a refund. I will be stuck with bounced check charges. I will definitely not deposit it.
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 01:05:53 -0500, Ignoramus14774 wrote:

I don't believe that you get bounced check charges unless _your_ checks bounce. What _does_ happen is that the bank has to (by fed. law) say that the check has "cleared" in three days even if they don't have the money in hand. Later on, when it becomes clear they won't get the money, they deduct it from your account.
But don't believe me ('cause I may be wrong!) -- go ask the teller at the bank when you cash the check.
--
http://www.wescottdesign.com

tim - I can assure you that you are mistaken - I just recently had a check someone gave me bounce - my bank charged me $10, his bank may have charged him something also

That's right, my wife had her paycheck bounce and we were charged $27.00. You get charged if you bounce a check or someone give you a bad check and you deposit it in your account. The thing to do is if the check is written on a bank with a branch in your area, go there and just cash it. If there is enough money in the account you get paid. If there isn't enough money in the account, you don't get paid.
Richard W.
Richard W. wrote:

You can also try to cash a check more than once, provided there is no fee for you to pay if it won't clear that can be worthwhile to try. Some banks will even hold the check for you and clear it if enough money is deposited to the account.
DGDevin wrote:

You can ask how much money is required to be deposited in the account to make the check good. The bank won't tell you, of course. So deposit one dollar into the subject account, then try to cash the check again. After you do this about 30 times, an officer will come over and, er, "assist" you.
It seems to me the authorities are not all that interested in these scams.
I had someone offer to send me a check, so I gave them the name and address of our local US Attorney.
Sure enough, they sent a check for $2,450, (on a $100 item) via UPS overnight, and someone signed for it.
Sadly, the AUSA assigned to "criminal" never calls me back or even answers his phone.
--
Jedd Haas - Artist - New Orleans, LA
http://www.gallerytungsten.com
Jedd Haas wrote:

Did they do anything illegal? Sending you a check for 24.5 times the amount of the purchase is not in itself a crime. Did you deposit the check? Did it bounce? If so, _then_ it's time to get "the authorities" involved. Until that time there's nothing the AUSA can do except wait for something illegal to happen. If you're calling him asking him to do something when no provable violation of the law has occurred then you're wasting his time and yours.

If the check is knowingly written on a nonexistent account, an account with insufficient funds, or otherwise forged it certainly is a crime. The bounce is certainly proof of a crime but it's not the only proof. OTOH, you can't really expect the US attorney's office to go after on every scam. It's time people stop falling for this one.

They sent a FAKE check to the US Attorney. (Perhaps you should re-read what I wrote, as you seem to have missed the point.)
Incidentally, the scammer also sent an email asking me to send most of the check proceeds to someone in Georgia. When I googled her name, I found a bunch of references to the scam, including this: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?tw1465
--
Jedd Haas - Artist - New Orleans, LA
http://www.gallerytungsten.com
Richard W. wrote:
(...)

Except for Washington Mutual, who sometimes refuse to cash checks drawn on them.
--Winston
--

Don't *faff*, dear.

Dunno about the hew hess of hay but up here in snowland, the issuing bank will not cash its own check if you don't have an account there. At least this was my experience. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Gerald Miller wrote:

That is a good bank not to have an account with. Some local banks around here refused to open an account for me, since my only income is a monthly VA disability. They were sure I would bounce checks like crazy on that small income. So I left my money in the Credit Union across town, where I've had an account since '97 and never bounced a check.

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Just curious, have you ever considered direct deposit?
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

At the bank that refused to open an account?
I used direct deposit at my last job, because that was all they offered, after the first paycheck.

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Pick one you like.

It has a lot of advantages, IMHO.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I tried. The couple bank brancehs on this end of town weren';t interested. That is why I stuck with the Credit Union. The VA has no problem with direct desposit to my Credit Union and it saves me $5 a month in fees.

Yes, you got your pay a day or two early with that company's direct deposit

Ours is a couple of days later (Monday vs. Friday) with direct deposit. It's still easier, particularly since our CU is 1000mi from here. ;-)