Food safe woods

I want to build a butcher block table and need a little information about the types of woods that can be chosen. I have thought about using strictly hard maple, but I am considering trying to build something like the one that David Marks built. Does anybody have a recommendation on the types of wood to ignore? Thanks in advance,
Chris
Have you looked at his website? There should be a detailed, step-by-step procedure including what types of wood were used, and what finish. Try www.diynet.net.
Let me know how this works out.
Steve

hemlock, oleander.
I am glad you thanked me in advance..........

Except, of course, the hemlock you refer to is an herb, not a tree.
Best possible answer is to avoid those woods which are rich in extractives. You can search for "toxic woods," avoiding any which are listed as a sensitizer, but the rule of nose - if it's sharp-smelling, forget it, and the rule of color - if it can be extracted by boiling, forget it. Should be pretty good.
Or you could use what everybody else does - beech, birch, maple.
Eastern Hemlock's a tanbark tree with a bad odor, so you wouldn't want to use it.
proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
it was an hoke
vaguely

SO? I get a chance to give a useful answer and tweak you too. Win all the way.
Hard maple would be my suggestion and no other. Many of the other woods that look nice by contrast do not wear or hold up as well as hard maple. If you are building for show pick any wood. If you are building for use for a long time I suggest maple and especially advise against open grain woods like oak or walnut.

Ignore any open/wide grain hardwood(such as oak,ash) or softwood (pine,popular) Use a tight close grain such as hard maple,birch,cherry,mesquite. Is this table going to used as a cutting butcher block? Or is it a normal table with butcher block style(just end grain of many pieces glued togather? If its going to used as a dining non cutting table than use any type of wood you want,closed grain or open grain.
Jerome