Food safe stain/varnish

I am looking for food safe stain /varnish to put on some salt and pepper shakers. A Canadian source would be preferred.
--

Http://www.powertool-reviews.com

Varnish? Shellac. Lee Valley is a good source.
If you don't have a store in your area (Hey, Robin... I notice the exterior trim is going up on 51st, what's the date?) then go to www.leevalley.com.
For an oil finish, walnut oil. Get it at the grocery store.
Where in Canada are you?
djb
Burnaby Never thought to check Lee valley
--

Http://www.powertool-reviews.com

"Dave Balderstone" <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca> wrote in message
And you call yourself a woodworker?
;-)
djb (in Saskatoon)

Never said I was a woodworker and I knew about Lee Valley and bought a few tools some years ago and found the quality kinda crappy for the price. KMS tools, House of tools Princess auto have better prices. I have not done much in the way of fancy work so far and going to try my hand at some high end work finishing.
--

Http://www.powertool-reviews.com

"Dave Balderstone" <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca> wrote in message
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 13:31:55 GMT, the opaque

You obviously don't -deserve- LVT quality. <harrumph>
-------------------------------------------------------------------- Unfortunately, the term "Homo Sapiens" is a goal, not a description. ---- http://www.diversify.com Web Design for YOUR Business! --------------------------------------------------------------------
Behlen salad bowel finish is great. It is available through most woodworking catalogs.

EEYEEEW!!!!

Chitterlings and sauce?
Tung oil varnish, actually.
Unless you plan on finishing the INSIDE of the salt & pepper shakers, or plan on IMMERSING the salt and/or pepper shakers in your food, than you can finish the OUTSIDE with anything you want...
BruceT

-- I've never learned anything from someone who agreed with me.

I thought ALL finishes are food safe when fully cured.
Jack
You're right.
The concept of a "food-safe" finish is a myth. Any finish touted as being specifically for use with items touched by food as being "food-safe" is merely a marketing ploy.
ALL finishes are food-safe once fully cured.
A.J.
I was planning on coating the inside for the salt shaker, from what I have read it will protect the wood. And with the pepper there will be the possibility of the varnish coming off as you grind the peppers. I would like to have a nice finish that will show the grain of the wood I choose.
I can show you picture of the v-clamping system I bought from LEE Valley. I still have it sitting in my closet as a reminder that kind of quality
Http://www.powertool-reviews.com
All finishes are safe for food contact once fully cured. You are not eating the shakers, just letting the food you eat come in contact with them. Just make sure the finish has FULLY cured. You might wish to let them cure for double or triple the amount of time it says on the can.
Good Luck.

like