Flying with the (legal) Eagles

I bought a little plastic electric heater for the shop today. On the top of the box was the warning: "Caution, do not attempt to burn firewood or manufactured logs in or on this appliance!"

Sez I, anyone that stupid could not read the warning anyway.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

I saw one in the paper this morning. It was a foreclosure sale. It read ......Sam Jones and Mary Jones, married, to Sam Johnson.......

I took me a minute to decide who Mary Jones was married to Sam Jones of Sam Johnson

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

If the SawStop rule prevails, how much longer before similar devices are mandated for drill presses, jointers, planers, or even circular saws or hand drills?

Of course they'll say "It's for the children," but, really, how many kids use a planer?

Reply to
HeyBub

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 06:24:15 -0600, "HeyBub"

Possibly not. As far as I know, the vast bulk of missing fingers happens because of table saws. The rest of the tools while certainly having the potential for being dangerous, don't have close to the same statistics when it comes to fingers.

But, if someone comes up with a similar "drillstop" device, who knows? Unfortunately, the insurance industry has the ability to drive any number of prevention devices.

Reply to
Dave

.......>

The lawyers and Saw Stop are pretty much taking care of the children.

High school wood programs that have been struggling for years are backing away from woodworking because of liability issues. Saw Stop is fueling that fire.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 12:01:20 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

You're absolutely right. Technology has all but supplanted shop class for many years now, at least in my experience. Sawstop is just one of the current excuses for why shop classes are almost non existent. It's a shame too. When shop classes were available, I actually wanted to go to school.

Reply to
Dave

I can hear it now: It starts as a whisper, it rises to a shout, soon it's heard across the land!

"One injured child is one too many!"

Reply to
HeyBub

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 12:01:20 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

You're absolutely right. Technology has all but supplanted shop class for many years now, at least in my experience. Sawstop is just one of the current excuses for why shop classes are almost non existent. It's a shame too. When shop classes were available, I actually wanted to go to school.

Woodworking is technology as is welding, machining, casting et.

Reply to
CW

Ever read the labels on the white tablets they put in urinals ???

Reply to
Pat Barber

I've got an idea. Why doesn't somebody make Lawyerstop? And Politicianstop. Well, actually they did both of those, but their use is frowned upon.

Reply to
J. Clarke