Flooring Question

Page 1 of 2
I think I've seen this discussed before, but I'd like to make sure.
I'm putting a new floor in my bathroom/laundry room, and there's a ton of stuff to remove; toilet, sliding doors, washer, dryer, etc. The tub stays where it is.
Originally I had thought that removing the vanity was just too much to add on to the rest of it, but IIRC, there's a school of thought that says if you ever think you'll need to alter the size of the vanity cabinet, it's better to remove it and add the floor under its footprint.
What do you guys think?
Tanus

I'd remove it, unless it's something oddly built-in. Typically, there are two water connections, one drain, and a couple of screws into the wall for the wooden bits. It's easier to remove than to work around.
Remember to plug the drain (plastic wrap and rubber bands is OK).

Do it right the first time. I'd pull the vanity.

Make life easy on yourself. Pull the vanity. (You may decide you need another vanity top. I have some super-hot deals with undermounted Corian sinks. I have many colours of remnants, usually enough to do a bathroom.)

LOL...I guess that means Angela is going to built it as well? (Drat...laptop...yaddayadda)
"Tanus" wrote:

Me thinks you already know the answer, but wondering if there is a short cut you forgot.
There isn't.
Pull it.
Lew

I'm sorry Tanus, but I have to do the Grammar Police thing here.
Correction:
By pulling it, I've got one less thing with which to fuck up the whole thing.
That's better. More of a 'ring' to it. I hope you don't mind. <G>

I'm sorry Tanus, but I have to do the Grammar Police thing here.
Correction:
By pulling it, I've got one less thing with which to fuck up the whole thing.
That's better. More of a 'ring' to it. I hope you don't mind. <G>
======="Pulling it eliminates the need to cut around it. It's one thing less to get wrong, and one less chance of ruining the work."
BTW, "got" can almost always be eliminated from the sentence without loss of meaning. Compare "I have got..." to "I have...".
Got it?

I agree with that wee bit of polish.

"Pulling the vanity eliminates the need to cut around it. It is one less thing to go wrong and one less chance of ruining the work."
There, turned it into English for ya. <G>

I'm sorry Tanus, but I have to do the Grammar Police thing here.
Correction:
By pulling it, I've got one less thing with which to fuck up the whole thing.
That's better. More of a 'ring' to it. I hope you don't mind. <G>
What's with the "Grammar Police" thing.
Whyfor are you trying to keep an eye on your Grammar when everbody knows she's upstairs entertaining the preacher??
BEG
P D Q
Robatoy wrote:

Somehow I feel 'cleansed'. Trust a Canuck to find the appropriate syntax and grammer to fit in the word fuck. I think it's in our blood - or just on our minds.
"Tanus" wrote:

Remember the old English lesson?
There are 8 parts of speech.
Noun, Pronoun, Adjective, Adverb, Verb,Conjunction, Objective, Exclamation, as I remember.
"Fuck" is the universal word.
It can be used as a part of speech by each of the types.
Lew

Robatoy is engaging in the kind of pedantry up with which I will not put.
Luigi
I think the key is in you comment "...if you ever think you'll need to alter the size of the vanity cabinet,...". If that is a real possibility I would remove it and tile under the footprint. However, tiling around a vanity is no big deal.
While finishing our house this spring I had put cement board down in both upstairs baths and got the tile down in a smaller bath. The cabinet guys were able to move us up in schedule so we let them set the master vanity on the backer board floor and I tiled around it. The cabinet shop threw us a little curve because the kick-panels under the linen closet next to the vanity had rounded (about 4" radius) corners. But, the tile cutting to the radius was not that tough.
Even if the vanity does come up later, you still have the option of sizing the new one to the un-tiled spot.
RonB

Reminds me of my last house. We were going to change the vanity anyway, so we removed everything from the room except the toilet and the bath tub. We did some wiring, installed the new medicine cabinet, put in the new lights and a new cabinet. Then we picked up the vanity.
It was the wrong one. It opened on the wrong side and would not allow the pipes and drain to remain where they were. As well as putting the drawers in a place where we could not get at them. So we took it back. It took six weeks before we could get it replaced with the right one. And my honey fell in love with it so a subsitution was not possible.
Soooooo...., we washed and brushed our teeth in the bath tub for six weeks. I was soooooo happy to see that vanity come in. This was in a one bedroom house too.
Tanus wrote:

Depends on the flooring.
If you're putting down tile, I'd leave the vanity where it is, but stash in the bathroom's closet sufficient extra tiles to cover the area of the vanity. If, someday, you want to replace the vanity, you'll have matching tile to accommodate the change.
If, on the other hand, the house burns down next year, you can take solace in all the extra work you avoided.

Yep. Carpet? ...and yes, the master bathroom in my last house was carpeted, red.

You won't match the grout.

That's good enough reason to not change the floor at all. ;-)
krw wrote:

Good point - and it calls for a revision to my suggestion:
"Stash in the bathroom's closet sufficient extra tiles, and the remaining grout, to cover the area of the vanity."
Of course if we're talking about stick-on tiles, there won't be any grout.

Grout goes bad in sort order. Suck it up and tile under.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Good points, all of them. However, I'm not tiling. I'm putting down cushion flooring.
Tanus