Flooring Q

Page 2 of 3

Don't get me wrong, tile is nice. I've had it in bathrooms and have a couple friends who have it in their kitchens.
Let me clarify. I want my entire house to be the same across all rooms, all floors same level. Trying to do all that in tile would be more costly and time consuming done DiY.

My tile and hardwood are within less than 1/16 inch of the same hight - transition to the vinyl is less than 1/4 inch.
Laminate to carpet in the basement is less than 1/4 inch transition as well.
The local discount flooring emporium currently has tile on at $0.67 and $0.97 per square foot, Laminate at $0.97 for the cheap stuff, and $1.37 for the better (Krona) stuff, and hardwood from $1.97 up - lots of it at 3.25. Installation is $1.25 per sq foot for 300 sq ft or more.. Vinyl plank at $1.37 and Clik vinyl plank at $1.97. Clik engineered maple hardwood $2.97.

Still a transition.

Again, still a transition and not desired here.

What "local discount flooring emporium"??
Every local place I have been to has no tile that cheap except small leftover lots that would be insufficient to do an entire home. I can only find cheap VLP for $0.89 when it is on sale and again in low quanities. Most are $1.99sq ft and up. Hardwood is over $2 sq ft and installation starts at $2.50 and up, depending on material. Those prices don't reflect underlayment and old material removal cost.
I was quoted for medium quality VLP, installed with underlayment, for a cost of $6k. That includes a special 15% discount for being referred by a friend to the owner. I left the store.
Our trash pickup company will not take carpet, tile, etc,. Our community switched to a new trash company a year ago and everything must fit in the provided can, the lid must close and you must adhere to the weight limit. Nothing will be picked up outside the provided can. No paints, flooring, oils, electronics, etc,. They do not provide any recycling pickup.
Moving is not an option. In case someone was going to bring that up.

Kitchener Ontario Source Flooring. So the prices are in $0.77 dollars too.

Sucks to be an American??? Here I can haul any construction materials to the local landfill - costs $75 per ton.

I can buy flooring at places like that here too. I can pay more than that too - just need to know where to buy and where to walk.
I bought the carpet for the stairway and hall from a higher end store - and paid their installers - with their best underlay - cost me $1000. We bought what we wanted, not what was the cheapest.
The tile we bought for the front foyer was a bit more expensive too - but for less than 40 square feet I told my wife not to even look at the price - just choose the tile she wanted. Cost us less than $3 per square foot. IIRC the ditra, thinset, and grout cost as much as the tile.
The hardwood I bought directly from the mill for $2.35 per sq ft, IIRC. I bought the air nailer on sale for about $50 - plus the cost of the cleats/nails.
The transitions are all transitions - not offsets. The transition from one level to the other is spread over about 2 inches - definitely not a trip hazard even for someone n crutches.
I installed all of my own tile, hardwood, and laminate. (also all but 2 of my windows)

I own a little pickup truck.

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca was heard to mutter:

Ah that explains a lot.

That's not an American thing, it's a company thing. Our previous trash company picked up anything as long as it was tied up or boxed up in packages not too difficult to pick up.

Hardwood would be a waste imho in a mobile home. No return on value.

I have various seniors and handicapped people who come in and even a folded carpet has caused issues for a few of them.

Nice.

I own an SUV.

I was talking about your lumber prices!!! (However, for most things you pay a LOT less than we do up here in Canada.)

I suspected it was a "redneck bungalow" - which is why I asked how big it is. Just about any of the low volume deals would have enough to do a trailer home up here

These transitions are significantly less than a folded carpet.

Who you calling redneck? I'm an east coast baby!
You can't tell the difference between our home and a stick build. Looks almost like one a few doors down and ours is in better shape.

Would you believe that we have people who trip on nothing? We understand some people like different things in each rooms, ergo tile in baths and kitchens, wood in a living room, etc, but we do not.

So more a "factory built home" than a double-wide trailer. - If you want it all the same, your best bet is high quality sheet vinyl, just like it came with but possibly better quality. Your second best is Luxury Vinyl Plank - clic-type, which costs more but you can install yourself.

I think the term today is manufactured home.
I have no issues with sheet vinyl but my other half does.
We were looking at more LVP yesterday. The stick-to-edges type has a 25 year warranty and is highly water resistant. Starts at $2.09 a sq ft. Free floating and no underlayment over OSB required.
Their cLVP (click-type) starts at $2.99 per sq ft. Waterproof and lifetime residential. No underlayment required over OSB.
We don't need waterproof, just good water resistance for kitchen, baths and laundry room. No outside flooding concerns. Thickness difference between the two is marginal so no issues there. We actually like the color options the offer on the sLVP more than cLVP.
Anyone ever use the sLVP? This is NOT the kind that sticks to the floor. Only the edges stick to one another.

Used it in my step-mother's house. I'd go for the clic for the small difference in price and the ease of installation (and the ease of future repair - you can pop out a damaged clic-tile and replace it relatively easily - not so easy with edge glued tile)

Here is some info on one of the sVLP type we looked at... http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/e1/e1b9e2ba-f817-4662-9805-3d26aa0f6f4c.pdf
sVLP = stick-to-edge VLP or also called Grip-Strip VLP.

Yeah, it's amazing that some people believe that there are optimum flooring materials for different rooms. Others, like the previous owners of our VT house, and liked carpet in the bathrooms. Sound familiar?

How big is your home?????
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca was heard to mutter:

1390 sq feet. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1 utility hall/room, combo kitchen dinning that opens into living room.

Big mobile.About the size of my 2 story. - bigger actually, if you don't count my basement.(mine is 1325 sq ft on 2 levels, plus the finished basement)
On 7/17/2015 9:46 PM, Casper wrote:

The only sure way to eliminate transition is to use the same material throughout. Even then you may have 1/16" Or spray the floor with self leveling concrete. The 1'16" difference is barely perceptible with baby feet or a wheelchair.
The problem with one material is there is none truly suitable for every room.

Sure they will, but it becomes a long term project to put the pieces in the can every week.

House came with all carpet and vinyl sheet. Baths, hallway and kitchen were vinyl. Rest carpet. Dinning was carpet over vinyl sheet because entire roll goes across one half of the double wide. All stapled down; under cabinets and walls too.

Uh no. Can't store anything outside and no place to store it inside. Not allowed to store outside. Communities don't allow 'eyesores'.

And no, they provided a list a week before they started stating what they will and will not take and they definitly will not take anything on that list. I've seen plenty of neighbors forgetting and then having to go out and deal with their own wet boxes, furniture, etc,.
snipped-for-privacy@ghostmail.cc says...

The idea is to break things down into small enough pieces that they don't notice. Some fella I knew who lives in a similar neighborhood tossed his garage roof that way half a shingle at a time.
If you could call them to come with a truck and pick up a load of crap for a reasonable price it would be one thing, but if you have anything not on their list you're on your own for disposing of it.